PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Joe H

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Since I’m lucky enough to own two similar Kaywoodie bulldogs made about 60 years apart, I thought I’d post some pictures and write up a comparison of the two, in case anyone was wondering how the vintage models compare to the modern versions.

The rusticated bulldog is a Kaywoodie Natural Burl in shape number 12B. My dad bought it in the late 1950s and used it until he quit smoking in the 1970s. He gave it to me in the 1990s. Between the two of us it has around 50 years of smoking on it. This was one of dad’s “working pipes,” which means he would take it to work once or twice a week and smoke it all day. He did that for decades. I remember him loading up his well-worn leather pouch (it’s pictured below) in the evenings after dinner. Based on his and my usage, I estimate this pipe has probably seen around 10,000 bowls in its life.

The smooth bulldog is a 2019 Kaywoodie Standard with no shape stamp. I got it because I wanted a smooth version of dad’s old 12B to fill a seven spot pipe rack (at the time I only had six pipes). The pipe was fine as is, but to make it more closely match my dad’s older pipes, I stained it a bit more brownish, polished it up and added an aluminum spacer to simulate the stinger fitment. In the five years I’ve had it, the white paint in the stamped clover/club symbol has worn away and the rim has darkened a bit.

Dimensions: Both pipes have the same length (5 ¼”), bowl diameter (1 ½”), bowl height (1 ¾”) and shank diameter (½”). The chamber diameter is ¾” for both and the only variation I could find is that the newer pipe is 1/16” deeper than the 1950s version (1 & 7/16s” versus 1 & 3/8ths”). The difference between to two pipe’s weight was only five hundredths of an ounce; both weighed just a touch over an ounce.

Smoking impressions: I’ve smoked both back-to-back with a variety of tobaccos over the years and both pipes smoke very well and not surprisingly, very similarly. The older pipe has a stinger but air flow is similar, with the 2019 model’s airway a very slightly bit more open. The advertised “cooling effect” of the natural burl surface has no impact the older pipe’s smoking temperature to me. Dad didn’t think it did either, but thought it was a clever way for Kaywoodie to market lower-end briar. He did appreciate that the pipe had a good hand grip compared to smooth pipes. It looks a little like a WW2 pineapple hand grenade to me.

Conclusion: With virtually identical dimensions and weight these two pipes smoke, look and feel similar (excepting for the smooth vs. rusticated finish). It’s great that the Kaywoodie company has kept these traditional pipe shapes available and unchanged throughout the decades and the various family generational ownership changes. To me, the current version is a nice, no nonsense workingman’s pipe, just like the older version was intended to be. The cost was around $40 bucks if I recall correctly and for that I think it was a great deal for an attractively grained, traditional briar and vulcanite pipe. I’d like to thank Mr. Davis for being willing to take over the company and wish him the very best as the new owner of this true American icon.Kaywoodie 12Bs.JPGKaywoodie 12Bs on pouch.jpg

Joe H

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Thanks for the comments and compliments, guys! I only have a ten-pipe rotation and I mostly smoke some type of cherry aromatic or OTC tobacco. Being kind of stuck in my ways, I don’t have much to contribute to the knowledge base on this site, but when I notice something in my experience might be useful - or just interesting - to the pipe smoking public, I'm happy to post.

Dad was a smoking machine from the 40s to the 70s when he quit. He worked outside and used pipes as mosquito repellant as much any other reason. I bet he had a pipe lit 8 to 10 hours a day. Even when he was home he’d have one lit if he was outside, and of course he had an after-dinner pipe in the living room with the evening newspaper.

For sure the pipes you smoke today will be perfectly functional for your future generations, either as smoking tools or cherished keepsakes. The other day I was walking the dog after dinner when one of my kids and some friends drove by. The friends couldn’t believe people still smoke pipes. They actually pulled over to tell me I was the first person they’d ever seen smoking a pipe who wasn’t in a movie. I blame the Oppenheimer movie. But for whatever reason, your pipes will almost certainly give someone pleasure long after you’re gone.

Joe H

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Bbaily324, I would be interested if your experiences with the older and newer Kaywoodies was similar to mine, especially if you have similar models of old and new ones.

Since I’m logged in, I thought I’d provide a description of how I arrived at the 10,000 number; it wasn't just a guess. Assuming dad smoked this pipe at work once or twice a week is based on the number of “work pipes” he had that were in smoking order. There were a couple I found that were obviously work pipes but were broken but not tossed. His house or “dress” pipes were obviously less chewed and were generally nicer or bigger pipes, so my guess is probably sound. He had an outdoor job until he quit smoking in the mid-to-late 70s, so any of his late 50s Era pipes would have got about 20 years of smoking. The math is: 20 years x 52 = the number of weeks smoked (1040). The number of weeks smoked x 1.5 as an average of once or twice a week = the number of days smoked (1560). I estimate dad ran through at least six bowls a day over an 8 to 10 hour work day (1560 x 6 = 9360). This is based on my observation of dad’s outdoor smoking on weekends at home and on camping trips, as well as the capacity of his everyday tobacco pouch. Finally, my usage over the last 30 years for this pipe pales in comparison to my dad, but certainly I added another 630 smokes. So while 10,000 seems like a lot of bowls, in all probability that number is conservative. Anyway, that was the process I used. It kind of took me by surprise as I worked up the estimate.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Very cool comparison, thanks for posting that.
I haven’t gotten any Kaywoodies newer than the mid forties (aside from my two Campuses which I have no clue on their age), so it’s nice to see the consistency through time.
Its awesome that Bill passed the torch to Nathan, I’ll probably hold out on a “modern” Kaywoodie until he gets production running and hopefully cranks out some of the smaller old models I favor.

Reactions: Joe H

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Very cool comparison, thanks for posting that.
I haven’t gotten any Kaywoodies newer than the mid forties (aside from my two Campuses which I have no clue on their age), so it’s nice to see the consistency through time.
Its awesome that Bill passed the torch to Nathan, I’ll probably hold out on a “modern” Kaywoodie until he gets production running and hopefully cranks out some of the smaller old models I favor.
Yup same. A lot of the ones up there are way too big for me.

Reactions: Joe H

Joe H

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2024
Alaska
didimauw: “@Joe H, Is the pouch your dad used, a pipe/tobacco combo?
How bout more pics of it! You could start an entire new thread just about that pouch!”

Thanks for all the gracious comments – much appreciated! That beat up old leather pouch was one of dad’s smoking things I really hoped to find as I cleaned out the old house. I remember as a young kid in the 1960s opening it and smelling the tobacco and watching dad load his pipe using this pouch. So far, I have found three of dad’s old tobacco pouches and I think that’s all of them. None are designed to hold pipes, but the one pictured above could if the pipe was small enough.

But for sure, I’ll be happy to take some pictures and post some information about these old treasures from yesteryear. Below is a tease.
tobacco pouches.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
didimauw: “@Joe H, Is the pouch your dad used, a pipe/tobacco combo?
How bout more pics of it! You could start an entire new thread just about that pouch!”

Thanks for all the gracious comments – much appreciated! That beat up old leather pouch was one of dad’s smoking things I really hoped to find as I cleaned out the old house. I remember as a young kid in the 1960s opening it and smelling the tobacco and watching dad load his pipe using this pouch. So far, I have found three of dad’s old tobacco pouches and I think that’s all of them. None are designed to hold pipes, but the one pictured above could if the pipe was small enough.

But for sure, I’ll be happy to take some pictures and post some information about these old treasures from yesteryear. Below is a tease.
View attachment 321670
Those pouches are gems in themselves!