Van Hoople, the Artist. What Do You Know?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I would have never thought of this piece to being related to Tikki in any way had you not connected the dots for me/us. To me it just looks mid century modern or MCM as they say.
I like it whatever it is and I’m happy you have tracked down another one for your collection. Enjoy!
Sven Kirsten, in the book Tiki Modern, his seminal follow up book to The Book of Tiki, clearly connected Witco Furniture and other genres such as brutalism and Conquestador to tiki. While these genres are not tiki, they are a part of the orbit that the genre of tiki orbited (Exotica) and have some common aspects. The vibe of my Laughlin River home is MCM with a lot of Moroccan/Bohemian aspects that create a sense of exotica. I have other artists’s works as well such as Danny Garcia and Edward Barton to name a few.

Reactions: LotusEater

VDL_Piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Last edited:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Interesting stuff and I certainly would not of associated his art with "Tiki" in any way, shape or form. Here are a couple I found for sale online, he definitely has a style that's unique and both these works have quite a bit of appeal. Also here is a chat room on Tiki and in particular Van Hoople, you're probably already on it but link is here if you're not. Van Hoople paintings - Beyond Tiki - Tiki Central - https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19309
View attachment 283893View attachment 283894
It was in that very thread that I discovered Van Hoople. He really is in the category of Escapism for people who engage in Tiki. Hot rodding is as well if that tells you anything. His pieces, when viewed in person, are very striking. The newest piece I have looks like it was painted yesterday.

Reactions: VDL_Piper