PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I see it as debating whether this behavior is legal or not. In my case, I only ship vintage tobacco. And noone so far could give me a solid explanation at which age a tin stops being taxable tobacco and starts being a collectible item.

When the content can no longer be smoked? That would be kind of Schrödinger's cat.
Presumably because they mean the tins themselves, empty of tobacco? I assume a declaration of tobacco itself is covered elsewhere? Smells like Latakia to me.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
Presumably because they mean the tins themselves, empty of tobacco? I assume a declaration of tobacco itself is covered elsewhere? Smells like Latakia to me.
Then it smells great :)

My point is different, and I suppose it is not applicable to the US situation. In most European countries, you are, as a business, not allowed to sell a tobacco tin other than for the price on the tax stamp on the tin. So if I were, like for example PipeStud, to sell vintage tobacco as a business, I could not sell it for a higher price. BUT, there are businesses selling unopened Balkan Sobranie tins for hundreds of Euros - legally, because they are treated as collector's items. So my point is, what decides if an unopened tin is treated as tobacco or as collector's item?

Hope that makes it more clear.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It's the first time I ever heard it expressed that way but remember this if you want the package shipped just say "No". No need getting in a pissing contest with a low-level employee of the post office. Never get in an argument with a low-level grunt who thinks they are god.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Then it smells great :)

My point is different, and I suppose it is not applicable to the US situation. In most European countries, you are, as a business, not allowed to sell a tobacco tin other than for the price on the tax stamp on the tin. So if I were, like for example PipeStud, to sell vintage tobacco as a business, I could not sell it for a higher price. BUT, there are businesses selling unopened Balkan Sobranie tins for hundreds of Euros - legally, because they are treated as collector's items. So my point is, what decides if an unopened tin is treated as tobacco or as collector's item?

Hope that makes it more clear.
Yep, misunderstood the direction of your original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.