PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
crk69 sent me a retort he had made. I didn't have any Everclear, but did have some isopropyl alcohol. I checked with youtube that you can use isopropyl alcohol and tried it on my little Group 1 straight Butz Choquin billiard. Here's what I learned.
1. 50% isopropyl alcohol never boils over a candle, use the 91%, even if you've dipped a few small paintbrushes in the bottle to clean off the enamel paint.
2. When it starts bubbling and vibrating for the first time, it will scare you.
3. I really, really suck at cleaning pipes.
4. Wait 24 hours to let it completely dry before trying to smoke it.
5. Retorts really work!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've had a retort kit sitting on my bench since the summer. I look at it as I use dozens of q-tips and pipe cleaners to clean estates. I guess I should try it. Where did you use it?

Aug 1, 2012
USA
I'm just taking a break from retorting some pipes and it works a treat. They can be scary but a few minor safety precautions and they're not terribly dangerous.
I use mine in my garage on a workbench (no chemicals around mind you) with a face shield, gloves and a fire extinguisher handy. Alcohol burns at such a low temp that it's probably overkill but I'd rather have overkill and safety than apathy with a burned-out house.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@ghost: I used it on the kitchen counter on a big metal cookie sheet. I wore glasses but I don't own gloves or a fire extinguisher, so had a 46oz bottle of water handy. It is amazing how much gunk it removed; the pipe smokes much more freely now. I wish I had a feel for how hot the test tube can get before it shatters, but I know of only one way to find that out :(
The things are awesome though; highly recommended, but I wish I'd had some Everclear; you can sort of drink that.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Yeah, I just keep putting it off but the more videos I see and posts I read about it make me think it's time to take the plunge. I have all the safety gear needed. I thought about waiting for the spring and doing it in my garage, on account of it being freezing here right now, but if I take the precautions all should be good. The cookie sheet is a good idea. I have no problem flame staining a bowl, and that was nerve wracking the first time. No big deal now.
I just had a particularly dirty job on an old estate that I should've tried the retort on. I got the shank cleaned out, but it was probably the toughest pipe I ever worked on. I'd wager if I retorted it now there would still be some colour in there.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
A heavy towel would also work in the place of a fire extinguisher. If I didn't have gloves, I would probably use a couple pot holders but I can't recommend that one.
If it is a lab grade test tube, it won't shatter unless it is subjected to a rapid, extreme temperature shift. Otherwise, it won't melt until abut 1500°F.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@ghost: I'll wager you could still retort a ton of color out of there!
@captain: Thanks! That's exactly the number I needed. I'm going to use the 50% alcohol and wait longer because I dipped enamel paint in the 91%, at least until I get more 91 or Everclear...

Aug 1, 2012
USA
The only caution I would have on the 50% alcohol is that the boiling temp on it would get me a little nervous about the stem. It strikes me the stem might hit the point of being pliable or too close to the melting point at the ≈170° boiling point of the alcohol.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I use the 99% Isopropyl on my stems, but I have 91 on hand as well. Does it make much of a difference when you add the heat? I was going to stick with the 99. We can't get Everclear around these parts.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
There will be virtually no difference between 91% and 99% when used in a retort. Both should work quite well.
(Oh No! This is post 666 for me. :twisted: )

Aug 1, 2012
USA
No problem guys. I'm definitely not an expert on retorts but with some basic chemistry and some trial and error, retorts are a great restoration tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.