PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark24

Lurker
May 22, 2011
Hi from the uk i have a pipe and dont know anything about it so was hoping you guys could help me out. I have uploaded the picture in my albums and any info would be great thxs mark. The pipe has been in the family nearly 90 yrs and we have no forums like this in the uk thxs again guy.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
So people won't have to look for it:

p210511_1556-600x450.jpg

It's a very good-looking Meerschaum, but I'm no meer expert so I can't say anything more than that :D

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Are there any identifying marks on the case or the pipe itself, particularly the stem, mark? It seems to be in very good condition, with interesting coloration around the bowl. Are you wanting to sell it or smoke it? This guide to estate pipes may help you in general terms.

mark24

Lurker
May 22, 2011
No identifying marks round the stem or in the case. Not looking to sell just looking for info thxs guys been in the family for nearly 90 yrs and dont know where it came from or how old would be nice to find out. Thxs for the input from mark uk.

PeriqueMyInterest

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Is that a pipe or a fancy cigar holder? What is the bit on the front?
I cannot be of much help here but I can give you the general explanation that it is a very beautiful meerschaum piece that secretly cries at night for a good smoke. If you would like it inspected or... something... send it here to Saskatchewan and perhaps I could be of further help :wink:

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
It looks like what was known then as a "cheroot holder". Yes, a holder for a small cigar. They were common in smokers catalogs around the turn of the last century. I've seen pics of fancy ones like this, carved meerschaum.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
They're not uncommon on ebay:
http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=cheroot&_sacat=4118&_odkw=&_osacat=4118&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
Since most of them have/had amber stems and date back a century or more, the majority are damaged in some way, it's fairly unusual to see one as nicely preserved as yours. Many of them from the Victorian era are very intricately carved.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
If nothing else mark your post inspired me to finally clean up and break in an old estate meer that i have, and i'm enjoying it right now...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.