PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shillelagh3

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Georgia
Is there some online resource that I can access that will help figure out how to understand a tobacco blend's description? What I mean is this: I would like to be able to read a blend's description and be able to get an idea of what that would taste, smell, feel like.
For example, if I'm shopping online or in a smoke shop and I pick up a tin and read
"A slow burning smoke of Cubed Burley, Latakia, Virginia flake, Perique and Turkish tobaccos,"
I'd like to at least have a knowledge base to use to guess at what I might be smoking if I bought it. Is this even a feasible concept, or am I just going to have go out and buy a bag of Virginia, a bag of Syrian/Cyprian Latakia, a bag of black/golden cavendish, etc. and smoke them all individually in order to figure it out?

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
Of course this goes without saying, but little bits of many different blends is likely the best way make this determination. Otherwise check out some of the tobacco review sites, before getting into the users reviews often there is a general description of the category & blend.
When all else fails....Google.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Check out:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/
Lists the contents and basic characteristics of each blend as well as reviews.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I use tobaccoreviews.com when looking to try a new blend.
It's based on pipe smokers opinions. Some reviews are funny, some are very good, some are downright confusing.
Opinions, everybodys got one.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I have got to say I use tobaccoreviews.com as well. On my ipad/iphone I use the Pipe Tool app that has been reviewed on this siteTobacco Cellaring - There's an App for that so when I am shopping or in my tobacconist I can check out the content and ratings for different blends.
As @Patiobum stated they are just smokers opinions but its a good a place as any to start. Also over time I found certain reviewers have similar tastes so you begin to trust their opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.