PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I will be receiving 25 cigars soon and will be making a tupperdore or two for them. The Boveda packs and cigars are on the way. What brand, type and size containers would you recommend?

Walmart/Target specials as well as Amazon links would be greatly appreciated.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
If it's new Tupperware, check for plastic smell. You can get rid of plastic smell by washing with normal dish detergent and setting outside in the sun for a couple days. Most Tupperware is not perfectly airtight, which is good as far as aging, but make sure you manage your humidity, which the bovedas should accomplish. Don't use over 69% packs. I'd recommend 65 or 62% for all but the mildest cigars.

If you find the Tupperware too small, a cheap cooler with some heartfelt beads works fantastic - that's what I use for long-term aging.

Reactions: kurtbob
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Looking for up to one year. I don't smoke a lot of cigars and will be gone for up to a year. Minimal supervision will be available via my nephew.

Why did you get 25 cigars when you're leaving for a year? If it were me, I'd spend $100 and get a small humidor. Buy a jar of the jel beads, add some distilled water now and then. I'd buy a jar of the jel beads even with the tupperdor vs the Boveda packs. If you get a larger one, won't be much maintenance. If the box is lined with cedar, just store the cigars in the box.

Aug 1, 2012
Why did you get 25 cigars when you're leaving for a year? If it were me, I'd spend $100 and get a small humidor. Buy a jar of the jel beads, add some distilled water now and then. I'd buy a jar of the jel beads even with the tupperdor vs the Boveda packs. If you get a larger one, won't be much maintenance. If the box is lined with cedar, just store the cigars in the box.
I leave every year. I spend most of my life traveling and working. I would like to have something nice when I come home. Like I say, I have my nephew to replace humidifiers. Right now, $75-100 for a good humidor which does not have as good a seal as a tupperdore will not help at all. If I lose 10-15 cigars so be it, it's still cheaper than what I normally spend in a summer for 3-5 good cigars.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I leave every year. I spend most of my life traveling and working. I would like to have something nice when I come home. Like I say, I have my nephew to replace humidifiers. Right now, $75-100 for a good humidor which does not have as good a seal as a tupperdore will not help at all. If I lose 10-15 cigars so be it, it's still cheaper than what I normally spend in a summer for 3-5 good cigars.

Having a better seal isn't the issue. Why don't you buy a traveldor and take them with you? I have two that hold around 36 cigars each.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks, too bad I realize 4 tins of pipe tobacco lasts exponentially longer than a box of cigars. Also, again my nephew will be looking after them so there will be someone there for upkeep. Reading comprehension and all.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I purchased a used mini fridge that I store my cigars in. I use humidity beads. I only have to open the fridge once every 2 weeks or so for fresh air. I never even have to add water to the beads. It's literally maintenance free. That's the route I would go.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
TupperDor!

51h1xeBsNmL._AC_SL1474_.jpg

Here's what I use. I have a couple and they've served my needs perfectly, along with a coolerdor for several years now. They may be larger than what you're looking for. They can hold several hundred cigars easily if stored loose. Maybe 4-5 boxes if stored that way. If you're going to leave them unattended for a year, the better seal may not be that ideal as you'll want some airflow every once in a while, at least that's what I've always been led to believe. If you have someone with access to where you're leaving them, having them open it up and check your bovedas or whatever every couple of months should be sufficient, though.

Aug 1, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.