PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR1296

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2019
Mississippi
Being a truck driver I'm always looking for a B&M when I have time to spare. Usually when I'm in a big city I will Google pipe and cigar shops near by. Then I'll pull the address up on Google Earth to see if I can get a 18-wheeler in the parking lot or somewhere close enough to walk.
If your local B&M has a parking lot big enough for us truckers to park in post them here.
I was in Springfield, MO today and did a search. I found a place called Just For Him. By the store pictures it look like it had a good selection of pipe and tobacco so I went to check it out. It was a nice place with good prices for a B&M except for the $200 of McClelland's Christmas Cheer. 15905Not sure of the year, thinking it was 2014. I picked up a few other tins.

I bet it is tough finding parking at B&M pipe shops. The Briary in Homewood, AL, just below Birmingham, doesn’t have parking for a truck that big on site, but on the opposite side of Oxmore Rd there are a couple of larger parking lots where I’ve seen trucks parked. You’d have to hoof across the road, but I walk all over that area, so it’s not a busy area.

The Briary has an excellent selection of tins and bulk. It’s more of a high end pipe shop, not a lot of beaters or other cheap pipes. Worth a drop in.

good luck, and keep on truckin’.

JR1296

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2019
Mississippi
I bet it is tough finding parking at B&M pipe shops. The Briary in Homewood, AL, just below Birmingham, doesn’t have parking for a truck that big on site, but on the opposite side of Oxmore Rd there are a couple of larger parking lots where I’ve seen trucks parked. You’d have to hoof across the road, but I walk all over that area, so it’s not a busy area.

The Briary has an excellent selection of tins and bulk. It’s more of a high end pipe shop, not a lot of beaters or other cheap pipes. Worth a drop in.

good luck, and keep on truckin’.
I don't mind a short walk, but that construction in Birmingham is something else.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Bah ha ha!! Most of my directions around here, are hang a left at the 2nd railroad tracks, take the road around the post office, and at the old coal car, turn right.
of course, to get to my house, just look for my neighbor’s “Go to Church or the Devil will Get You” sign, and second house on left.

Haha, same. Lot's of "turn left at the old bridge, go about a mile and half past the fish hatchery and then you'll see a big rock in about half a mile, second driveway after that, red log house with the snow machine trailer."

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
J&R outlets used to have great cigar and pipe tobacco right off various exits on I-95 and maybe other places I don't know. I think they still have cigars but maybe no pipe tobacco. I hear their whole inventory has changed, but they certainly had parking.

Reactions: JR1296

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Cigars International "Super Store" in Hamburg, PA, right off I-78 has a massive parking lot and right beside the giant Cabellas with an even larger lot (50 bus plus capacity in addition to cars). If you like a wondeful cigar/pipe lounge, and sporting goods, you might never leave!

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Just For Him has a decent selection of tobaccos that may be a bit harder to find (Grousemoor & Firedance Flake comes to mind). Have ordered online with no issues but would love to visit the store in person, nothing quite like walking into a nice pipe shop with that smell and atmosphere will surely be a thing of the past in a few years.

As for parking a 18 wheeler it may be difficult to find many pipe shops to accommodate such a large rig, keeping in mind that most of these places tend to be smaller shops. There are a couple REAL pipe shops here in the Detroit area but most smoke shops are the "Wild Bills" or headshops.

Hope more people can chime in with some suggestions.

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
JFH is a cool shop! At least online... never been in person. I was surprised to find SG tins available a few months ago and ordered Firedance and Chocolate Flake. Mentioned that I had hoped to be able to order some Shortcut to Mushrooms and asked if they were planning to reformulate it. A "pipe babe" or "fox" or something of that nature replied that STM was no more but that they tossed in generous samples of Bombadil and Whiskey Biscuit Gravy, which were the closest substitutes! Overall a good experience and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe shops run by mom and pop are channeled to lower rent storefronts, which often means city streets with sketchy parking. Except for shops in malls, which tend to be Tinder Box franchises, I can think of few with parking for the long-haul trucks. I'm surprised to hear Just For Him is situated for big truck parking. A member sent me a generous quantity of a Planta blend renamed by Just For Him, "Something Different." I'm interested to learn it is in Springfield, Mo., since that is sort of my second home state and my wife's birthplace. We met in school there, went off and lived our lives, and got back together around retirement age.

Status
Not open for further replies.