PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
In your opinion is it better for a beginner pipe smoker to dry thier tobacco a little too much or too little in the trial and error process? 2nd question do you recommend packing your bowl more loose or tight in the beginning of the trial and error process.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
IMHO, too wet is better than too dry. Excessively dry tobaccos burn extra hot. As for packing, tight is best so long as you can still easily draw air through.
However, the goal is right down the middle of these extremes.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Completely understand the goal. just curious on what people consider the best starting points to move forward to the sublime event of pipe smoking greatness. Thank you for your thoughts.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Completely understand the goal.
I figured you did, but I had to say it. :)
Curious what others will write. I have a feeling that not everyone will agree with me. I've read more than once some saying they prefer too dry than too wet.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I think people will have a more diverse answer with the dryness. I got wicked tongue burn from more moist tobacco and was told it was the steam it created. I also feel my bowl burns hotter with dryer tobacco. Yes I am aware of the pinch method but does not always pertain to every tobacco or personal preference. Learning to smoke a pipe is a personal journey and I am very curious as to see what people feel the better starting point is and why.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Well I would say it's a heck of a lot easier to try a pinch and say it's a little too wet and let it dry a little longer than to say seems a little dry; how should I go about rehydrating my tobacco?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the wet/dry part of the question, it seems to depend a lot on the tobacco. The OTC Five Brothers always seems

really dry to me, and even with a new pouch, it burns fast. But it remains like that. It's just a good, strong, rather

quick smoke. Some aromatics, like Black Cavendish of various kinds, remain fairly damp, but smokes well anyway.

Some complain about the "goopy-ness." I think you have to pack it a little looser, because it tends to smoke slow

anyway. The same is true of how tight to pack tobacco. You always have to have some air draw through it. But

some tobacco, like Virginias cut small for example, burn better if they are fairly tight. Some ragged leaf likes a lot

of room in a bigger bowl. So much depends on experience with particular pipes and various tobaccos, so you get

to know them. It's one reason to keep your smoking rotation within possible limits, maybe a few dozen pipes, and tobaccos

down to a mere twenty or so (at a time) so you can keep track of what's going on. Some of these oldtimers probably

do fine with a few hundred pipes and scores of tobaccos, if their memories keep working.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I prefer tobacco slightly on the dry side. Wet tobacco releases steam which causes discomfort, and disrupts the flavorful tobacco oils from marrying on the pallet. Humectants like PG in many Areos augment the steam phenomena. It's funny, but when I pack a carry along leather tobacco pouch, the best smokes come as the tobacco pouch slowly depletes. That's because the last bowls are the driest. As for packing - not too loose, as that'll burn hot, and not too tight as that'll promote wetness. Hope that helps.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Its easier to start too loose and tamp tighter as ya go than to try and lossenup a too tight pack. Dryer is better than wetter.

Aug 1, 2012
If I were forced to choose, I would go dryer (but not quite crispy) and looser (you can always tamp) but I hate to choose for someone else. I would prefer to say I have tried both ways for packing and drying and to truly understand you will need to try both as well.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
also being a bit of a NOOB, I have noticed too that the pipe of choice matters with moisture content, especially if it is an aromatic in a heavy bent pipe... it will gurgle and then you get that steam, tongue burn. I have noticed that my cobs don't really do that at all. They are very forgiving, but need to pack them a bit tighter IMO than briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.