PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've had pretty good results just seasoning and smoking tri-tip but for tomorrow's party I'm attempting my first ever dry brine.

I'll season and let these come to room temp for about an hour before they go in the smoker tomorrow.

I'm also thinking of letting them stall and then wrap them like a brisket but haven't decided yet.

Until tomorrow they sleep uncovered in the fridge:

1000013022.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I usually have to add fat to tri-tips from a butcher, not from my Nebraska supplier, they cut and trim to order. Tri-tips are a personal favorite and letting them, seasoned, stew in their own juices over-night works well. Steaming them in a foil wrap? I wouldn't even think about. Plenty of fat seeping into meat and the natural juices of a sirloin seems to me the way to go. If you decide to wrap I suggest doing it loosely, with some venting. Good luck! A simple, flavorful cut of beef that is hard to mess up with a bit of thought.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
The wrap would be a paper wrap not foil.

I usually lay some strips of thick cut black pepper coated bacon on top for added moisture and flavor but I'm trying the brine this time.

I'll be using Bad Byron's Butt Rub which has salt for the seasoning tomorrow so it's kind of a 2 stage thing.

I love this type of experimenting. Sure I get "this was better than that" results but even the "less better" results are still tasty great.

Aug 1, 2012
The wrap would be a paper wrap not foil.

I usually lay some strips of thick cut black pepper coated bacon on top for added moisture and flavor but I'm trying the brine this time.

I'll be using Bad Byron's Butt Rub which has salt for the seasoning tomorrow so it's kind of a 2 stage thing.

I love this type of experimenting. Sure I get "this was better than that" results but even the "less better" results are still tasty great.
Seeing the amount of salt on it, I'd still use the bacon. Should be yummy.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
So I hit the tips with some Bad Byron's Butt Rub this morning and let the sit on the counter for about an hour. Then they went into a 150 degree smoker where they very slowly came up to 125 then I put the spurs to them at 225 degrees. Pulled them when they hit 140, wrapped them in parchment, and placed them in a cooler for about an hour and a half. Amazing!

1000013059.jpg

As close to perfect medium as I have ever done!

1000013064.jpg

Super moist and tender!