PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I am fixing a traditional Southern New Years meal for tomorrow and having the family over. I am serving spiral ham, black-eyed peas on rice, collard greens with bacon drippings of course, yeast rolls, fried corn bread and sweet iced tea. Cooking the peas ahead of time with a ham bone and letting it sit overnight. In my opinion they are better the next day. So does anyone else have a personal or regional New Years meal planned?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Midwesterners both by birth, we follow the Southern tradition as far as the black eyed peas and collards go. We have some bubbly wine for a toast, and will likely watch the ball drop in NYC at midnight, since NYC was where my wife spent her adult career in journalism. Here in North Carolina, they have various non-ball drops. In the capital, they drop a big bronze colored acorn, in honor of the City of Oaks, and for a while, a small city had an opossum drop, but that was discouraged. Possums are sometimes hunted and eaten, but suspending one in the air seemed mean. I guess it just played dead for the occasion. I nominate an outsized moon pie or can of Cherrywine soda.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
What happened to sienisalaatti and Marskin ryyppy? I can't stand mushrooms, but I always bring a bottle of that or koskenkorva to kick of the start of Deer season.
Oh , it is still very common, the problem is that one oughta have mushrooms at home, pickled or otherwise, potato salads are gaining popularity lately, but well-made mushroom salad is hard to beat, and no doubt this white lightening'Koskenkorva*is a staple and it ain't going to lose 'it nationwide popularity any time soon, Wishing You a Happy and prosperous New Year to the great State of TX

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Only my wife and I are at home, as a precaution against covid infections. Five shrimp for each of us, a consommé with Jerez, A pair of beef cutlets. And a bottle of Ribera del Duero. A simple dinner. This New Year's Eve will not be very traditional. But we are grateful to God to receive these foods. Amén. God bless you all and your families on this special night. And of course to those loved ones who are no longer with us, but we are with them always. ?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Only my wife and I are at home, as a precaution against covid infections. Five shrimp for each of us, a consommé with Jerez, A pair of beef cutlets. And a bottle of Ribera del Duero. A simple dinner. This New Year's Eve will not be very traditional. But we are grateful to God to receive these foods. Amén. God bless you all and your families on this special night. And of course to those loved ones who are no longer with us, but we are with them always. ?
Happy New Years brother.

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I am fixing a traditional Southern New Years meal for tomorrow and having the family over. I am serving spiral ham, black-eyed peas on rice, collard greens with bacon drippings of course, yeast rolls, fried corn bread and sweet iced tea. Cooking the peas ahead of time with a ham bone and letting it sit overnight. In my opinion they are better the next day. So does anyone else have a personal or regional New Years meal planned?
Add my Mother in law’s deviled eggs and you’ve described our New Year’s meal to a T.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Sounds wonderful! I Just finished ham collard greens and black-eyed peas with cornbread. Roll Tide