PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm going to re-stain a pipe this evening and was wondering how soon to apply my Bic after I wipe on the stain.
I was also wondering why I'm going to do this. Every staining article I've read says we're supposed to do that, but why? Does it burn the stain into the briar?

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I don't know what I'm talking about but, i guess it helps dry the stain. I don't know, looking forward to see the real answer though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I do it that way. Be careful to not let the stain be dripping, let it dry just a few seconds. I put the flame to a very wet stain on my first attempt and it burned part of the wood... Now, I also "poof" it out with a air blown from my mouth. It is supposed to open the pores of the wood to get the stain in deeper.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If torching opens the pores, why not use a hot air blower to heat the wood before you apply the stain?
Something sounds mighty screwy around here...

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I don't set mine on fire. You have to glob the stain on pretty fast and thick for it not to evaporate before setting it on fire. I do heat my stummels with a heat gun sometimes if I'm aiming for certain contrast stains although I find this is only really effective with water based stains because the water doesn't evaporate as quickly as the alcohol based stains.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Wayne. I may try the heat gun approach as the flame just scares the beejesus out of me. I restained a Charatan After-Hours, with that acrylic stem extension. I thought I should keep the flame off the acrylic piece, so I taped it up, which promptly caught fire as well....bit if a fire drill getting that out and tape off... (no damage..)
I used a heat gun to warm the grain when I did the two-step stain on my recent "Selected Straight Grain" pipe. That worked well and really made the grain pop (black stain, than brown over the black).

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
It's been a couple of hours now and I'm not too impressed with what I've accomplished. In fact, I think it looks like shit. The stain is shiny in places and I'm guessing that's because it's still damp. The pipe has a couple of fills that are very obvious and, at this point, I'm not pleased with my handiwork.
Maybe this is typical with a first effort?
I used Minimax Wood Finish - Early American 200 from my local Ace Hardware store.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I don't know any pipe makers who use Minimax Wood Finish from Ace. Most use leather dyes with Fiebings being the most popular. I prefer to mix my own and use J.E. Mosers powdered dyes.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
The flame does open pours to allow stain to set as stated but minwax almost always has a wax or oil in it, sometimes poly, for the "shine" in a one step application. It wont take flame well and will do what you described every time. Leather die is best I think, bare in mind I've never stained a pipe, but lots of cabinets and furniture, I've occasionally used black brick dye, but usually to get a distressed look.

Status
Not open for further replies.