Tom and Becky could get lost in this thing!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
The other night I fished this stem-less orphan out of d'Bay and gave it a new home.

Up to this point I don't think any of my pipe bowls are any larger than 3/4", some are smaller. This monster is cavernous!
The bowl interior is one inch wide and it's an inch and five-eighths deep! I reamed this thing of it's concrete like cake for 40 minutes! I only wish I knew what the previous owner smoked in it, cause that cake smelled beautiful!
After a nice complete renovation and the addition of a fancy stem, I think it'll be great smoker, either that or I can drive fence-posts with it.

I'm thinking a guy would have to smoke nothing but his absolute favorite tobacco in this thing and get really comfortable...'cause your gonna be in it for the long haul!!
100_0595b.jpg

100_0595.jpg

Alpha made in Israel.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Alpha pipes tend to be good smokers. I almost bid against you on that one but had several other irons in the fire and held off.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I like it, but as skinny as I am I am not sure I could pick it up :D

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Uncle Arthur, I know who you are now and will take that into consideration when deciding whether or not to bid on a pipe that we’re both interested in.
I couldn’t let that one go for $8.
You must be correct about Alpha’s being good smokers, this one certainly must have been, at least judged by the amount of cake built up and the thinning of the finish where a thumb and forefinger would have been used to hold it.
I’ll keep the half bent stem in mind. It’s going to have to be a large one with some lathe work done.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Definitely a big boy there. I am sure you will get a stem that will match up with it in short order.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
You can pick up some pretty nice stems here: http://www.pipemakers.org/ the rubber ones are by the dozen but the lucite ones are per stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.