Roberto Clemente Day in Major League Baseball.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Vauen Pipes
6 Fresh Rinaldo Pipes
New Cigars
3 Fresh Becker Pipes
72 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Thanks for sharing this, Jim! The maternal side of my family tree hails from the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh, so even though he died more than a decade before I was even born, the moments recalled in the article speak to me greatly. Plus, I love baseball history in general, going way back, even to the dead ball era.

I'm also reminded of another great Pirate, Willie Stargell, the only player to ever hit a ball out of Dodger Stadium twice. ⚾

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for sharing this, Jim! The maternal side of my family tree hails from the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh, so even though he died more than a decade before I was even born, the moments recalled in the article speak to me greatly. Plus, I love baseball history in general, going way back, even to the dead ball era.

I'm also reminded of another great Pirate, Willie Stargell, the only player to ever hit a ball out of Dodger Stadium twice. ⚾
I loved Willie Stargell, too. Very fun guy to be with. My mother cooked dinner for him once, and we had a wonderful time together. Btw, the statue of Willie at PNC Park has one of the best, most realistic faces of a person that I have seen.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Great post! My kid years were spent in MN so Kirby Puckett was my hero. Now days I’m a huge Brewers fan and this season has been fun even if we’re missing Yelich :(

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I loved Willie Stargell, too. Very fun guy to be with. My mother cooked dinner for him once, and we had a wonderful time together. Btw, the statue of Willie at PNC Park has one of the best, most realistic faces of a person that I have seen.
See, I just love hearing stories like that. I don't even follow the sport anymore (for a variety of reasons I shan't disclose here, so as to sour the mood), so these things are all I really have anymore. Takes my mind back to a way different time and, in my humble opinion, a better one.

I've never seen the statue, but it's quite eerie (if he played for the Indians instead, that'd be a righteous pun) that the statue was dedicated less than a week before he passed.

Also, Don Sutton was spot on when he said that Willie didn't just hit pitchers, he took away their dignity. I would argue that RC did a fair bit of that as well.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Willy and Roberto were good friends. In an ocassion Willy went to visit Roberto to Puerto Rico at the beginnings of Robertos career and was surprised that they went to several nightclubs and were treated very well. Willy advised Roberto that in the states they would not be so welcome on white people clubs. Those were other times regarding racial segregation. Roberto admited that Willy was very helpfull for him to get used to another culture.

Reactions: kcghost and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Willy and Roberto were good friends. In an ocassion Willy went to visit Roberto to Puerto Rico at the beginnings of Robertos career and was surprised that they went to several nightclubs and were treated very well. Willy advised Roberto that in the states they would not be so welcome on white people clubs. Those were other times regarding racial segregation. Roberto admited that Willy was very helpfull for him to get used to another culture.
There are a lot of stories like that regarding the acceptance of Clemente and others in that time period. Change is always hard.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Roberto was Dodger property in the mid 50's but couldn't get a call up to the majors due to their loaded roster. They lost him to the Pirates in the Rule 5 draft. Thus, a legend was born to the consternation of the Dodger Faithful.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It's hard to overstate how much Clemente meant to Latino baseball, and baseball as a whole. While he wasn't the first dark-skinned player from Latin America, he was such a huge star that he was simultaneously a huge role model, but also had to deal with some lousy treatment (I.e. sportswriters, mimicking his accent and syntax in quotes when his meaning was perfectly clear). Along with Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, and Walter Johnson, he's right up there with players I wish I had a time machine I could use to see play.

And of course, his tragic and too early death occurred while he was in the service of others, delivering humanitarian aid to people in need. What a hero.