PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the thing I keep seeing about Japanesse freehands is they really seem to try hard to work with the grain. Not that other pipe makers don't do that, but it really seems like that's one of the top priorities if you're japanesse and making free hand pipes. I love that it seems to show a certain fundamental respect for the base material.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
the thing I keep seeing about Japanesse freehands is they really seem to try hard to work with the grain. Not that other pipe makers don't do that, but it really seems like that's one of the top priorities if you're japanesse and making free hand pipes. I love that it seems to show a certain fundamental respect for the base material.
I completely agree, for instance, I was looking at this one the other day and noticing how the briar is turned a complete 90 degrees from the standard and how the birds eyeing is on each side, but the grain is on the front and back of the bowl but horizontal instead of vertical...very nice and different from what other carvers would do

Reactions: anotherbob

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I completely agree, for instance, I was looking at this one the other day and noticing how the briar is turned a complete 90 degrees from the standard and how the birds eyeing is on each side, but the grain is on the front and back of the bowl but horizontal instead of vertical...very nice and different from what other carvers would do

Its called cross-grain. Some people prefer it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I think it comes from looking at things in a different way. I feel a little weird trying to explain the philosophy of another culture from what I've read and talked with people about but there is more of a tradition of seeing objects kind of like living things and thus letting them express their nature less then looking at it like a tool. Of course that is the super easy simple way of explaining it. I could be totally off, but it makes sense to me.

Reactions: stokesdale
Status
Not open for further replies.