PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Something mentioned in another post made me realize that I haven't heard a great many people talking about a blend that used to be just about the only one regularly mentioned on another forum I used to be allowed to access. This made me wonder whether certain Tobacco has become like so many other things these days, a passing fancy?
The blend I was thinking about is Butternut Burley. I admit I have never tried it myself and at one time was sure I was missing something very special. I managed to sneak back under the radar to the forum and see that even its greatest supporters appear to have moved along to other blends.
Please don't misunderstand me, I realize that we all enjoy different things and thank goodness for that too, but hearing the name again recently made me aware that It is a blend I have not seen getting quite the devotion here at pipesmagazine.com

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have received a sample from a friend not long ago and smoked some of it a couple of days ago. That being Butternut Burley.

It wasn't bad at all, but it's not something that I would pursue as a regular blend for my larder.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I like Butternut Burley quite a bit. It is used routinely in breaking in a new pipe. A steady supply is always in my cabinet.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I doubt there are ANY blends that you "wouldn't mind trying", bubba. LOL! I shouldn't say anything, though. I'm no better.
-Jason

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I've been wanting to try Butternut Burley for a long time....trouble is, I can't order tobacco on the net...and I haven't found any locally.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Lordnoble - Nope, I am out to try all blends until I find that one blend that just agrees with me 100%! I am also getting an order set up as we speak so I am looking for things to order!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Old box but I think I have one more if I do it will be thrown in the new box . Please keep in mind that I do not like burley as much as I do Virginia based blends .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cortez said:

I never tried it because I heard it was similar to, but not as good as, 1-Q.
To me it has a sweet cigar taste. It's one of those blends that you feel the vitamin N in the back of your throat.

While it's OK once in a while, it's not something that I will add to my base stock.

As for being similar to 1Q - to me - not even close. The cut is completely different and the taste while not bad is very different as well.

I see no comparison.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Actually, Butternut Burley is a great aromatic, but you must like aromatics to appreciate it. it is nothing like 1Q, !Q uses vanilla as the base flavoring whereas the BB tastes more like a soft Marshmellow flavor. It has a little cocoa flavor in it as well. If you like aromatics and burleys, chances are you will like it. I love it with coffee on the days I feel like smoking an aromatic. It is very mild and absolutely no tongue bite and smells great in the room note.

Status
Not open for further replies.