PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I can taste the cross contamination when I use zip lock baggies like that so I do like Cosmic stated above, I just use old tins to put the tobacco in. I usually put them in the round tins, the tobacco dries out too quick in the square tins.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I have a couple and they are okay. They offer a bit more protection than a standard baggy and may prevent against the cross contamination concerns, but the tobacco inside can still cling to the sides of the bag in an annoying way just like with regular bags. Also be sure to verify that they are actually real silicone before using if you get some.

For travel, I just grab my pouch of St. Bruno Ready Rubbed. The commercial pouches are quite great because they are durable, compact, and the flap provides a built in spot for tobacco prep. I'm definitely keeping the pouch once it's empty to fill with another blend for travel purposes.

If your travels involve flying, there's no way I would put tobacco in bags for carry on. When I fly, I make sure everything is in a sealed tin on my way out, and just toss them before returning. I have no idea how airport security is in other countries, but TSA in the US has no qualms about just throwing your shit away. And, YOU try to reason with one of those guys. Just try it. You'll be walking funny in about 15 minutes.

I've seen so many perfectly legal things just chunked in the can. YMMV

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
If your travels involve flying, there's no way I would put tobacco in bags for carry on. When I fly, I make sure everything is in a sealed tin on my way out, and just toss them before returning. I have no idea how airport security is in other countries, but TSA in the US has no qualms about just throwing your shit away. And, YOU try to reason with one of those guys. Just try it. You'll be walking funny in about 15 minutes.

They are truly a bunch of ham fisted monkeys. On a recent trip to beautiful Puerto Rico, we had to walk 2x2 through a cordoned area. A K9 handler would walk with us, presumably to smell for narcotics or explosives. The whole time a very angry TSA fella was yelling out loud, 'dont look at or touch the dog, keep moving'. It quite literally felt as if we were in an institution, not paying customers for a service. It was ridiculous. Not to mention them dumping my sons bag, with his macbook, onto the counter. Very unhappy with those clowns.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio

I had no problem with tobacco in my checked bag frying domestically in the USA.

I had no problem with tobacco in my checked bag frying domestically in the USA.
I haven’t had a problem either, but I don’t put mine in baggies. I’ve seen them just toss other people’s stuff in the “tube” that was totally legit stuff because it was in something other than the container it came in. I’m not saying it happens every time, just seen it happen. And, knowing my luck, I just don’t take chances. I’m always the one called out.

Coming back from the Tucson Gem and Mineral show with luggage full of rough gemstones in our luggage, it came off the conveyor with so many yellow and red tags, that everyone stepped away from my wife and I when we claimed them…. Like it was either going to explode or be full of human heads or something.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I haven’t had a problem either, but I don’t put mine in baggies. I’ve seen them just toss other people’s stuff in the “tube” that was totally legit stuff because it was in something other than the container it came in. I’m not saying it happens every time, just seen it happen. And, knowing my luck, I just don’t take chances. I’m always the one called out.

Coming back from the Tucson Gem and Mineral show with luggage full of rough gemstones in our luggage, it came off the conveyor with so many yellow and red tags, that everyone stepped away from my wife and I when we claimed them…. Like it was either going to explode or be full of human heads or something.
Mmmm…human heads

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I always carry my tins of tobacco on, in a backpack, while traveling by air. Never had a TSA person give them a second look.

Reactions: Scottmi and kcghost