PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Either, making smoking expensive has lowered the incidence of smoking related health issues, thus saving the health care system bales of money, or it hasn't lowered the incidence of smoking but has been such a good revenue stream, the government can't abandon it.
I've discussed this with a colleague who's a health economist, his take was that this idea was valid when a lot more of the population in the Western World smoked, now with several restrictions in smoking anywhere and everywhere the tax revenue is far lower than the exorbitant direct and indirect costs of treating late stage cancer, cardiovascular disease, and COPD.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Either, making smoking expensive has lowered the incidence of smoking related health issues, thus saving the health care system bales of money, or it hasn't lowered the incidence of smoking but has been such a good revenue stream, the government can't abandon it. It would be interesting to see how it actually works, or if it is just a moral issue that satisfies the righteous without much effect on health or revenue. At those prices, I might decrease my bowl a day to one or two a week.
I completely agree with this post, and yes I’m grateful that I’m happy having 3 bowls a week, sometimes will go with out for a week or few depending on the weather.
Still if it was that far out of reach for my budget I would cut back even further but luckily Australia makes up for it in other ways and although I wouldn’t say it’s affordable, it’s something I can budget for easily enough to suit my needs.
I’m quite happy to smoke 2 maybe 3 blends in one rotation regardless if I were paying US or EU prices.
Ironically there seems to be more selection locally when in stock than I ever thought possible say 10 years ago, and I’ve missed the boat on ordering from overseas but shit happens.
Just give me a great Virginia Flake, Vabur and the occasional Kentucky high nicotine blend and at the end of the day if I can support the local guys who actually give a damn for the pipe smoker in Aus and try to stock good blends, I’m happy enough to do a couple of bank jobs to pay for it..

Status
Not open for further replies.