PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jebi

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Oklahoma
I have a container that I was keeping a local blend in. Since I travel a bunch I pick up house blends all over the States. I want to transfer one of these travel blends into that container for longer storage as I work my way to them.

I am worried that if I don't decontaminate the container from the aroma of the local blend that it would leech into the travel blend. To clean the container before I stored any tobacco in it I soaked it with dawn for 24 hours then let it dry over a weekend. Seems excessive and I am too lazy to do that every time I want to change out tobaccos after smoking through one blend.

Last bit of information, this is not a perique or Latakia or cherry aromatic. Local blend is a Virginia with a ton of stuff mixed in. Travel blend is a form of Virginia as well.

Any experience in this? How worried should I be?

Reactions: kcghost

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
What type of container? You can clean glass jars out with dish soap if you want. My preference would be one without fragrances. Other options are vinegar or alcohol; just rinse with water after.

Glass mason jars are easy to deodorize with a good cleaning. It's the lids that hold smells for all eternity.

Reactions: FLDRD

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
To clean the container before I stored any tobacco in it I soaked it with dawn for 24 hours then let it dry over a weekend.
This is what I do for containers I am re-using. Most often these days it's a bail jar that I use over and over again for blends that were stored in a now-opened mylar bag. Mason jars and their lids can simply be run through a dishwasher cycle, I don't do that with bail jars as the dishwasher soap is pretty harsh on the aluminum bail components.

May 14, 2024
United States
I also collect house blends from around the country.

Do you have White Stag from Stag Tobacconist in Scottsdale AZ, by chance?

I made the mistake of packing a ziploc baggie of Ennerdale in the same suitcase pocket as a baggie of Prince Albert for just two days, and the Albert was ghosted with Ennerdale. Moved the Albert to a jar and it remained ghosted until I consumed it half a week later; the jar itself was then ghosted until a thorough washing. And yet, Ennerdale hasn't ghosted a single pipe. Weird.

Jebi

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Oklahoma
I also collect house blends from around the country.

Do you have White Stag from Stag Tobacconist in Scottsdale AZ, by chance?

I made the mistake of packing a ziploc baggie of Ennerdale in the same suitcase pocket as a baggie of Prince Albert for just two days, and the Albert was ghosted with Ennerdale. Moved the Albert to a jar and it remained ghosted until I consumed it half a week later; the jar itself was then ghosted until a thorough washing. And yet, Ennerdale hasn't ghosted a single pipe. Weird.
I have not made it out to AZ yet, but will make sure to stop by here if so. I normally have to try and find pipe shops after I land.

Going to Seattle in September so I am going to see if there is a pipe club meet up happening at the same time and then just stop by some suggestions. Do you have any suggestions up that way?

Jebi

Lurker
Jun 13, 2024
Oklahoma
What type of container? You can clean glass jars out with dish soap if you want. My preference would be one without fragrances. Other options are vinegar or alcohol; just rinse with water after.

Glass mason jars are easy to deodorize with a good cleaning. It's the lids that hold smells for all eternity.
Well that is embarrassing that I forgot to include that haha. It's glass jars, but not mason. They were sealed with tiny alcohol cakes from a fair but they are perfect for 1 ounce of tobacco. I will focus on the cap and see if I can get by with a quick rinse. Thanks!

May 14, 2024
United States
I have not made it out to AZ yet, but will make sure to stop by here if so. I normally have to try and find pipe shops after I land.

Going to Seattle in September so I am going to see if there is a pipe club meet up happening at the same time and then just stop by some suggestions. Do you have any suggestions up that way?
I haven't been to Seattle, so no suggestions there... Although I have heard about a pipe club up that way with some amazing blends, lol!

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Well that is embarrassing that I forgot to include that haha. It's glass jars, but not mason. They were sealed with tiny alcohol cakes from a fair but they are perfect for 1 ounce of tobacco. I will focus on the cap and see if I can get by with a quick rinse. Thanks!
No problem, and you should be fine if they just contained cakes. You don't want to reuse a lid that has been used with something like garlicky pasta sauce or pickles because it can and will make your tobacco taste like the former contents. Ask me how I know...

Anyway, mason jars are fairly cheap and it might be a good idea to pick some up.

Reactions: kcghost