PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ziv

Lurker
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
More often than not, I notice that tobacco pieces stick to the bowl walls, as if the center is burning faster than the perimeter.
Is this a packing error? lighting error? pipe error? all of the above? none of the above?
Thanks!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
More often than not, I notice that tobacco pieces stick to the bowl walls, as if the center is burning faster than the perimeter.
Is this a packing error? lighting error? pipe error? all of the above? none of the above?
Thanks!
That's where a tamper comes in
Tamp down the sides of the bowl to form a central "mound"
Use gentle pressure and take care NOT to compact the tobacco too much

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
But that would mean scraping the walls with the tool - is that ok for the cake?
I'm with those who don't like a thick cake.

Tobacco bits form a "loose" cake which may "look impressive", but do little for the pipe except clog up the chamber.

I clean out the chamber after each smoke with folded over cleaners or a scrunched paper towel. This leaves a very thin layer of hard cake, which is far more protective.
My preference is for a layer of @1mm

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I'm with those who don't like a thick cake.

Tobacco bits form a "loose" cake which may "look impressive", but do little for the pipe except clog up the chamber.

I clean out the chamber after each smoke with folded over cleaners or a scrunched paper towel. This leaves a very thin layer of hard cake, which is far more protective.
My preference is for a layer of @1mm
I've had cake pieces break off in huge chunks before. Leaving behind a wet/oily substance underneath.

Looked like cake, but not so much.

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Sponge cake 😂
I completely agree. When I first started smoking a pipe I remember reading somewhere to stir up the ashes at the bottom of the pipe after a bowl then cover the top with your fingers or palm and shake so that the ashes coat the bowl to speed the creation of the cake.

I followed that advice and it was fast cake formation and impressive looking. Later on the cake broke off in huge chunks like @didimauw said and I thought the wood was burnt underneath. Thankfully, it was only weak cake. It was awful to look at when it was lumpy and uneven like a black scab coating the inside the bowl.

What I do now is what @OzPiper said in his cleaning technique. There is only a very thin layer of cake in my pipes and I ream it with a pipe knife when necessary to keep it very thin and smooth.