Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
OK, it gets cold in Idaho in the fall and winter months. My lovely wife does not overly appreciate tobacco smoke in the house. I could retreat to the garage which keeps a temperature of around 41° +- depending on the outside ambient temperature- our water heater and gas furnace are located in the garage. With a coat on it’s reasonably comfortable. But, it’s not my comfy rocking chair by the stove
While getting the stove ready to go this fall, I had an idea.?
In my mind, absolute genius, but so far it has drawn a measure of skepticism from my wife.

I have a rocket mass stove as a secondary heat source in my home. If you’re not familiar with them you can research all about them. Super efficient multi-fuel burning, wood stove. I bought mine with the optional pellet hopper. This allows me to use pellets or split wood to heat and does not require any electricity to operate.
With the pellet attachment on, the clean air intake for combustion comes from a side mounted 4 inch opening. I’ve decided that I could get some 4 inch HVAC pipe to attach to the stove and create a system to evacuate or pull the smoke up the chimney with the rest of the stove exhaust.
So, Here is a picture of the first go at it. I will let you know if it works and gets official HW Laboratory (Happy Wife Lab) approval ?

Attachments

• 5A23A051-34B2-471B-99CE-42ACAC440956.jpeg
    5A23A051-34B2-471B-99CE-42ACAC440956.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 25
  • CD191B1F-9544-480A-AB62-260479668B24.jpeg
    CD191B1F-9544-480A-AB62-260479668B24.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 25

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Hope it works! It gets real cold here in the winter and finally after 20+ in our house I had a gas heater installed that hangs from the ceiling in the garage. Hasn't had much of a workout yet, but I'm kicking myself for not doing it a long time ago. I have enjoyed a bowl or two or three in the house, but usually outside and a heated garage and 16 foot long workbench will be seeing more of me - now just need a raised, comfy chair on wheels!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
seems like a genuine pipe dream. Seriously though a little bit of cold is good for you.
I agree. I enjoy outdoor activities throughout winter. We live on an acre and I have sheep and chickens to take care of, so I get lots of time outside everyday. I really would enjoy sitting in my rocking chair near the stove enjoying a smoke while the snow is coming down.

• Love
Reactions: SBC and anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I agree. I enjoy outdoor activities throughout winter. We live on an acre and I have sheep and chickens to take care of, so I get lots of time outside everyday. I really would enjoy sitting in my rocking chair near the stove enjoying a smoke while the snow is coming down.
that does sound nice. Though that system I tells you even if it works there could be one moment it does not and the wife can hold that over your head for at least 30 more years.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Does she not care that you’d be taking the warm inside air and sending it up the chimney? Typically that intake is for fresh outside air for combustion.
The stove is not set up for outside cold air supply. It’s a free- standing ”wood” stove like most wood stoves in homes and fireplaces for that matter.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
But that Intake is for the pellet aspect, right? Pellet stoves actively pull outside air for the constant combustion vs. the low oxygen environment wood stoves operate in. I don’t have that unit so I’m not familiar with it, but I do heat my house 100% off a wood stove and have a separate pellet stove for fun. The pellet stove has the external air intake vent like yours which is why I ask about it. If mine was pulling inside air to keep the pellets burning, the space would lose a lot of heat.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
But that Intake is for the pellet aspect, right? Pellet stoves actively pull outside air for the constant combustion vs. the low oxygen environment wood stoves operate in. I don’t have that unit so I’m not familiar with it, but I do heat my house 100% off a wood stove and have a separate pellet stove for fun. The pellet stove has the external air intake vent like yours which is why I ask about it. If mine was pulling inside air to keep the pellets burning, the space would lose a lot of heat.
Not familiar with normal pellet stoves. My stove by design is a Rocket Mass Stove Made by liberty rocket mass stoves out of Missouri. The pellet hopper accessory Enables you to burn pellets through a gravity feed system. Most days I burn split firewood in it. Either way it draws inside air to operate. It will heat our 2000 sq ft single level, house quite well.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
How'd it go?
Howdy,
I monkeyed around with this for over a week. In the end, it was not viable nor practical. I have a room contiguous with my garage that was added on to the original structure that Has a ventless heating and air conditioner. It is the area I set up for our freezers and to process garden vegetables. It has a sink and hot water. I can smoke out there. It’s just not the wonderful aesthetic setting by the woodstove that I would prefer.
I am considering buying a indoor air cleaner that would filter the smoke out?
so, I continue to enjoy smokes outside in the Southern exposure windbreaks of our yard on days when it’s manageable. Otherwise, I sit in my camping chair in the garage. ?

I put in a inline vent system into my house with a rheostat and vent in each room... and we never use it, except in the case I burn something in the oven. It is powerful enough to evacuate all of the air out of the house each ten seconds. Quiet as a whisper.
But, when we used it, my wife complained that she couldn't smell my smoke. When we moved in, I totally underestimated her.

Reactions: Fralphog

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. Usually exhaust fans are the best but they also suck out the heat also. You need to suck out at least 150 cfm to have a chance.

Reactions: Streeper541

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
What room is this located in? A dedicated smoking room away from the main house area? Does it work effectively?
This is in my basement office, which is adjacent to one of the foundation walls. I tied it in to the dryer vent running to the outside wall. Seems to work well so far.

It's the only room inside the house in which I smoke. The rest of the time I'm outside or in the barn.