PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I enjoyed the 2013 Special Reserve, didnt really take to the Summer belnd, I may get a sample of the Holiday Season.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Maybe you've just gotten boring in your dotage. :)
Actually, I don't get impressed by those not blenders marketing product. Yes, it has a name associated with rabid fan boys but there are other, including me, who aren't impressed with the pipes. Of course that is also true across brands.
So, would I want to try a new Pease, C&D, MacB or right across the list of respected blenders or buy a one time offering that I guess I'd actually hope I didn't like because it soon goes away. If someone remarks they really and rightly love it, that is great -- for them. I'll pass.
P.S. I did fall for Christmas Cheer this year after others raved and I do like Va. Didn't ring my chimes and I gave it away to a guy who did think better of it. Learned my lesson and will stick with vintage wines.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had the last three Christmas/Holiday Season offerings from Peterson and enjoyed them a lot. Every year it's quality tin artwork, a wonderful leaf combination, and one of the best cased/top dressing blends out there. The flavors transfer well and consistently throughout the entire bowl. It typically doesn't give most people tongue bite/burn either. If you like or enjoy aromatics even once in a while it's definitely worth it to pick up this blend and the other yearly limited edition blends from Peterson, Summertime and Special Reserve.
I already bought two tins of this year's blend, but haven't sampled it yet since it came out in August. All I've done so far is transferred the tins to a mason jar. I will say it smells divine. To me the tin note is that of a Christmas cookie. Can't wait to fire up a bowl. Probably will wait though, at least until after Thanksgiving.
I will add they keep very nicely in mason jars. I have some remaining from '11 and '12 and they've kept a decent moisture level as well as retained the original tin note.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've been buying the holiday blend as well as the summer and special reserve for a couple years now.
They are always some of the best aromatics out there. This year's are quite tasty.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I love Peterson pipes, there's no denying that! But when it comes to their tobacco, not so much. I've had somewhere around 1/2 doz. of their tobaccos, and I've never been impressed. I'm not saying they're low quality, they are definitely good quality, but not for me!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I read the review and I was positively drooling by the end of it!
Bought my 2013 in August, but was going to smoke my 2012 this year. Now I'm not sure, guess it's going to be both!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Every year it's quality tin artwork, a wonderful leaf combination, and one of the best cased/top dressing blends out there. The flavors transfer well and consistently throughout the entire bowl. It typically doesn't give most people tongue bite/burn either. If you like or enjoy aromatics even once in a while it's definitely worth it to pick up this blend and the other yearly limited edition blends from Peterson, Summertime and Special Reserve.

That pretty much sums it up right there. I have a minimum word count for the articles, though, so I have to fill it out with all that tasting fluff :wink:
Bought my 2013 in August, but was going to smoke my 2012 this year. Now I'm not sure, guess it's going to be both!
FWIW, I was a little disappointed with the 2012 Holiday blend--smelled good, a little on the potpourri side, but the flavor didn't translate to the smoke as well. I actually had some last night at pipe club just to remember; while a decent smoke it wasn't one I'd crave. 2011 was very good but a little unfocused. 2010 was (and remains, in my cellar) one of the best aromatics I've ever had--I'd rate it a 99.5 in a heartbeat.
...or buy a one time offering that I guess I'd actually hope I didn't like because it soon goes away.
Well, that's also part of the *charm* of holiday blends. Just as I don't eat gingerbread cookies regularly throughout the year, for example, I gorge on them during the holidays partly as a tradition and celebration of remembrance, and partly because they taste so damn good I'd weigh a metric ton if I ate them all year--so it's a happily poignant self-limitation. That being said, once I tried the 2010 blend I bought a dozen more tins, and would've gotten more but they'd sold out by that time. So I'll walk down that memory lane every year-end for a little while, and make memories each time. Finite exercises like this are simply part of the focus of appreciation, IMHO.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Bill's review convinced me to go and grab some, but I found a number of online retailers were sold out. I was starting to think I missed the boat, but Cup 'o Joes had some in stock, and still does, as of this posting, in case anyone is interested getting a tin or two.
Had it shipped to my Dad in the US since shipping to Pakistan is kinda on the pricey side. But as Bill pointed out, it should cellar well. Planning on smoking it Christmas 2014 and starting a tradition of smoking last year's Holiday Season blend for Christmases to come!
Quick question--How reliable are Peterson's larger, hinged tins? Do you know if they are vacuum sealed? Should I have my dad transfer it to a mason jar?

Status
Not open for further replies.