PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopy123

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
Hello, i recently started smoking a pipe, and i have a question.. For my birthday i received a pipe from my father. It was my grandfathers pipe that he smoked before he died, and i want to know if someone can tell me what brand it is or anything about it (price etc.) Here are the pictures:
http://oi54.tinypic.com/1pdz48.jpg

http://oi51.tinypic.com/2cgkkg6.jpg
I estimate it was bought around 1940-1980.. It has a writing on it, first word is smudged and i cant read it, second word is "black" and below it says "made in England"...
Any help will be nice.
Thanks.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
snoopy, I can't help You on make or year, but it's a fine looking pipe, smoke it with pride it was gramps.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I came up with the same thing tonypuff has. Found the following in Pipepedia:

Captain Black Orlik sub-brand / second. What you might try is to wipe down the smudged area in front of the Black. Then carefully look at it with as good a magnifier as you have access to. You might be abole to make out the rest of the name.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I believe that it is a Captain Black made in England Pipe, as far as the year goes, I don't know....my guess would be about 30 years old or so.

pseudonim

Lurker
May 19, 2011
I think we can safely agree that it's a Captain Black, I have three of them, all excellent smokers, seconds or not, they're good pipes.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
Seconds is just a fancy word for not being sellable for more then two hundred dollars by a big name company like Dunhill.
No disrpect to Dunhill or other quality brands, I just dont find the point in spendig a ton on a pipe. Two hundred would probably be my max.

Status
Not open for further replies.