PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SlasherSenpai

Lurker
Jul 16, 2024
New York
I Just started smoking a pipe shortly after fathers day. I got a starter kit from MM and some Great Dane Tobacco with it. I loved the great dane, I had absolutely no problems with it at all. The only issue I had was getting a little overzealous with the pipe cleaner and stabbing a small hole in the bottom of the cob, oops.
Okay so here is where the advice comes in I guess. As the great dane was running out I ordered also from MM some American patriot and another cob, eager to try other types of tobacco. When I opened it up it smelled like barnyard, like a fair to be exact. Chicken cages and smoke from grilling. Well I smoked it and it tasted okay but something felt wrong, and after smoking it a few times the roof of my mouth felt itchy and I felt like my mouth was swelling a little. Time has gone on a little bit and the barnyard smell kind of has gone away entirely. Ive tried taking out some of it overnight and smoking less of it. That itchy feeling hasn't happened again but it certainly doesn't feel comfortable and is causing me some anxiety.

Where should I go from here? I'm not exactly made of money kind of bummed about the american patriot. I've read that the Amphora sampler is a pretty good buy for beginners, I haven't really seen many stories similar to mine every definition I read of tongue bite involves pain I haven't seen anyone describing feeling itchy like if I ate pineapple it makes my throat itchy kind of the same feeling but on the roof of my mouth instead. No pain at all.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Well there are tons of tobacco versions and not every one will you like for many reasons. Try another version. Don't give up. Ive tried probably hundreds in 35 years and most I like but here and there I've found duds. But I save them come back to them and sometimes I'm surprised I like them after all. You never know. So keep smoking and trying. That's the fun of our hobby.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
If you liked Great Dane, look up the ingredients (Tobacco Reviews and SmokingPipes) and see if you can get a somewhat similar blend.

Quite a few retailers offer sampler packs which allows you to try a range of blends without having to buy a full tin/pouch.

Happy smokes puffy

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Hey Slasher, you probably have experienced some tongue bite.

Here is a great article to check out.

You might find that there are certain blends that just don't work for you, or that you can change the way you smoke and the moisture level of your tobacco. Either way, happy reading!

SlasherSenpai

Lurker
Jul 16, 2024
New York
Thanks everybody for your replies I ordered a small pouch of albert, carter hall, and some c'est la vie chocolate eclaire... sounded interesting lol. I think I'll try to avoid Lat for a while assuming my body just doesn't like the stuff. Cellar the American Patriot for a while and see what happens down the road

Reactions: minerLuke

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Since you already got yourself some burley based blends to try and you liked the Great Dane (cherry/vanilla aromatic) you may like Cult Blood Red Moon. It's a very good darker cherry blend with some chocolate notes. Definitely one not to miss if you like a cherry pipe tobacco.

One other good one that doesn't get talked about much is Mac Barens Red Ambrosia. It's a cherry blend that has a bit of complexity, some rum added, and is definitely worth a try. I quite liked the tin I smoked through and have been meaning to order some more. The 100gr tins aren't too expensive and are readily available.

Reactions: Jacob74

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I wouldn't call Lat nor Kentucky "barnyard". When you mix perique and burley, that will give definite horse shit smell you can't miss.

With any tobacco, once you open, give it few days to a week to settle down. That will lower the chance of any specific component giving weird reaction, and mellow out the blend. The fact that you didn't burn your tongue with aromatic, Great Dane, chance are good it's not tongue burn. You might be mildly allergic to something in American Patriot. Some people have allergic reaction to red VA. Some to others.

Reactions: JOHN72