PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Don't let them play four squares with you. It's pretty much guaranteed that they will try.

Reactions: romaso

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Sometimes rental/leasing companies in tourist areas sell their rentals at the end of the season ... its possible to pick up a low mileage rental for many thousands less than the new price. It pays to look around and wait for a deal but you have to be ready to buy quickly.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I used to sell Toyotas from 84-86.

It's a different age today though.

As others have mentioned, prices are high, and inventories are low. There is very little incentive for a dealer to give too much of a break.

Not sure what you're trading in, but if it's a normal joe blow vehicle, I would suggest you sell it on something like Craigslist. You're going to take a big hit on the trade in value.

The only time I would suggest a trade in is if the vehicle you're trading in is worth a considerable amount in order to save on sales tax on the final deal.

I would definitely suggest a good low milage used vehicle. Let someone else pay the depreciation.

I would suggest you get on the NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) website when you're on the dealer lot. Spec out the vehicle you're looking at buying and see what the Average sales price is. Now you have some ammunition. You know what the car is worth, so you know if they are inflating the price. And they're ALWAYS looking to move used cars off the lot ASAP and will make deals on these.

For a used car, assuming they are asking the correct price on the car, I'd start with offering 15% off asking price in an attempt to settle on around 10%.

I have no advice for a new purchase in today's market, other than know the correct value of the vehicle you're looking at, offer something less and go from there, but do not overpay.

Best of luck.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
How do you married guys list names on the title? I've heard only having one name can limit liability, but that listing both with an 'or' is better for estate purposes.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
How do you married guys list names on the title? I've heard only having one name can limit liability, but that listing both with an 'or' is better for estate purposes.
Talk to any attorney about your goals and concerns with title/liability. There are subtle differences that have different outcomes under contract, tort, probate, insurance, and bankruptcy law.

Despite not being married, I'm in a long term relationship. The home and vehicle are just in my name. Less mess if something goes sideways and I will not co-sign.

The general rule is rent a spouse, kid, and home so you can give them back when done (or exercise a renewal option). I broke two of those and don't intend on breaking the third.

Yes, I own my hypocrisy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Has anyone mentioned yet ... give yourself plenty of time to shop for a vehicle. Don't underestimate the value of being able to walk away from a deal you don't like; you may get called back as the dealer's quota slips, or as an individual finds out they aren't going to get their asking price.

Don't fall in love with a vehicle until you start hearing a price you like. No vehicle is so wonderful you need to break the bank for it.

Best to start while your current vehicle still has working miles left, both for trade-in or resale value, and to give you leverage. Research your own vehicle and see what you should be getting for it.

If you don't hear back on your set schedule, you can always check back and see if the price has come down. This is more true now that the new and used car markets are more volatile and prices shift from week to week.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The late great Forums member foggymountain presented a real life lesson in car shopping that he reported in some detail on Forums. He was getting on in age and decided to splurge on a brand new top of the line silver-colored Mercedes convertible.

It was an irresistible beauty, a real breathtaking car. But as the story evolved, he soon decided he didn't like all the computerized features and inexplicable accessories. At first it was just an irritation, but then it became a real burden. He traded that sucker off and was lucky to have retained his good old Ford Expedition SUV (I think it was). Perfect for hauling around his paintings (he was an artist), and with no mysterious digital technology.

Foggy', you're still teaching us a thing or three, and thank you for being up front about your experience.

I have been told by multiple authorities that most of US States follow British common law, and regardless on how a property is titled, 50% always belong to your spouse. In fact if you want to name someone else other than your spouse as a beneficiary in a financial account/asset, you need to get a no objection letter from your spouse.

Having said that, I am not an attorney and thieve kind of questions are best answered by an attorney.

I have been told by multiple authorities that most of US States follow British common law, and regardless on how a property is titled, 50% always belong to your spouse. In fact if you want to name someone else other than your spouse as a beneficiary in a financial account/asset, you need to get a no objection letter from your spouse.

Having said that, I am not an attorney and thieve kind of questions are best answered by an attorney.
Looks like what I was told was wrong as per the article below. That is why these questions are best asked to an attorney

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That post about EV's being considerably heavier than internal combustion vehicles is noteworthy. I'm thinking about car ferries that will suddenly be confronted with average weights far greater than the nautical engineers used for design. Sure, they might have always had a cement truck or huge RV to contend with, but now the average weight per ship load will be half again as much. Get some heavy weather, and that doesn't sound good.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
We've been married 44 years and my truck is in my name because I went alone to buy it. My wife hates shopping for cars. My wife's van is also in my name because...again, I went alone.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Everybody in this world with property worth protecting should see a lawyer to have a family trust set up. The only disadvantage is that trusts cost money, and no you shouldn’t get one online for $198.:)

The greatest advantage of family trusts is when (not if) you die then you appoint successor trustees to administer your assets without probate, and ninety nine people out of a hundred do not prefer probate (although I’ve enjoyed probate fees quite a bit, myself).

I would wait as long as you can hold off buying a new vehicle.

You can buy a new Ford EV pickup this day. In three or five years they’ll be better and cheaper.

——

All F-150 Lightning models come standard with two electric motors and all-wheel drive. With the Standard-Range battery, the motors combine to make 452 horsepower but with the Extended-Range battery the horsepower rating rises to 580; peak torque is an impressive 775 pound-feet with either setup. Performance is impressive for a truck this heavy. The Lightning Platinum we testedreached 60 mph in a scant 4.0 seconds and covered a quarter-mile in 12.7 seconds at 107 mph.

—-

My 363 horsepower Chrysler 300S Hemi is among the fastest 4,000 pound four door cars ever made. On a good day it runs a 13.8 second quarter mile.

The electric model that replaces it will not only be much, much faster but will cost about three or four cents a mile to run.

Nobody will want a new fifty thousand dollar gasoline car in a few years.

My buddies all moaned and groaned about LED light bulbs and today you couldn’t give away an old fashioned light bulb.

They whined about energy efficient wood stoves and today it’s hard to give away the old kind.

Would you like a new car that will outrun a Hellcat Challenger or Corvette and runs on pocket change?

Wait.

Everybody in this world with property worth protecting should see a lawyer to have a family trust set up. The only disadvantage is that trusts cost money, and no you shouldn’t get one online for $198
I would completely agree with this.
Without trying to score a free advice from you 😊

If the situation is simple I.e. spouse as primary beneficiary and children as contingent, most assets can be transferred to beneficiaries but subject to estate taxes.

I think a trust must have an attorney or a paid responsible professional as an appointed fiduciary and the cost of appointing such a professional need to be compared against future estate taxes.

Reactions: Briar Lee

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I just take my son who really enjoys the negotiating with dealers. He thinks of it as sport. I tell him what sort of deal I want or need and he runs the dealers around until he gets what he wants. Takes at least ten hours to it. My last one bought for me on New Year's Eve. We left the dealer after 8pm that night.