PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I learned recently from a Forums member that my local Tinder Box at Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, N.C., has closed. I haven't gone by to stare at the closed storefront, yet. This is where I bought my first pipe around the time it opened about 42 years ago, in a nearby different location. About ten years ago they went to a larger space but to a less trafficked area. I had noticed recently that their pipe inventory had diminished somewhat. They still had a fair array of tinned pipe tobacco and their traditional bulk blends, many of them renamed Lane etc. But the clear leader on revenue stream was their cigar humidor. Because of the mall location, they never had a smoking area of any kind. In recent years, many storefront cigar bars at lower rent locations have likely chewed into their profits. If any good comes of this, I hope it is that it will pump up the customer base of my local independent Pipes by George, across town near the NCSU campus. I'm not sure of the status of the Tinder Box chain in general, but the closing of this longstanding location can't be a good sign, for Tinder Box or the pipe smoking market. I'll smoke a bowl in my St. Ives Tinder Box house pipe and hope for the best for the remaining shops in the area that carry pipe and pipe tobacco. When I Googled the Tinder Box, there were many sites that listed it as if it was open, but a sidebar that gave information on the old store hours and address, etc., but then has a curt note at the top: Permanently Closed.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I thought Pipes by George was closed? Every time I went there he always seemed to be just hanging on.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I stop in at Pipes by George every time I'm in Raleigh and make it a point to buy a few things. Nice people there. I think he makes most of his money from cigars.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
There's a B&M about 15 miles from me.They have bulk tobacco and some tins,but mostly cigars.I don't go there often though.The traffic getting there is horrible,and their prices are high.I would like to support them but I live on a fixed income and I have to watch how I spend my money

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm pretty sure Pipes by George is still going ... fairly strong. You can hit lulls when it looks like no one comes in, but you can also find groups in there smoking and other people in and out buying particular items, and he does a brisk business in pipes and pipe tobaccos in addition to cigars. It's a real pipe shop. I've been by there when it's open in the last two weeks.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yes, indeed George is still running. Just bought a tin off him as well as a new pipe a couple weeks ago. I like George. He's a real nice guy and has a pretty large assortment of pipes. Probably more than I've seen anywhere else, including the Tinder Box located up the Durham mall. Still sad they closed though. I would be interested in talking to the guy that runs it to see if they just moved from CVM up there to Durham.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've bought quite a few pipes from George over the years including two unfinished Savinelli pipes, a Jobey straight billiard, a La Rossa poker, and a Ben Wade, off hand, maybe others. The last bulk I bought there was Stokkebye's English Luxury and a tin of Haddo's Delight. I usually resupply with pipe cleaners while I'm at it. George knows his pipes. His son teaches and occasionally fills in when he can get his folks to take a vacation, and he is also a personable guy. I hope George goes on for many a year.

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Small world. I bought my first Meerschaum at that Tinderbox in 1989. Bought my 316KS at Pipes by George around 1993 (Chapel Hill location).

Status
Not open for further replies.