PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
i bought my first tins and they came in the mail yesterday. i bought some dunhill tins. i was wondering does the tobacco stay fresh in the tins after you open them

does the tin reseal tight enough to store it in or will it dry out.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I would suggest placing the tobacco in mason jars after it is opened. I will leave it in the tin if it is very moist and I know I will be going through it quickly. Once tins are opened most of them are useless.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Once tins are opened most of them are useless.
Agreed, even though I usually just leave them in the tin anyway. LOL.
The flat tins such as the ones Dunhill comes in do not really seal too well and the tobacco will eventually dry out. Actually, the Dan tins are the worst as far as a seal goes. The flat Dunhil style ones aren't too bad. They have kept tobacco fine for a few months.
The C&D type tins that have the plastic tops are much better.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
thanks. i opened one last night. i did stick the tin in a zip lock bag just in case.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
If you have to put every blend in a jar, even ones you get just an ounce to sample it, then where on earth do you find the storage space for 60+ jars?

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I did find some nice squawty wide mouth 8oz jars. Don't take much space at all.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a space reserved for jars in the bottom of a bookcase. If I EVER get plowed out I will be building a pipe cabinet/tobacco storage area this winter.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Neither tins nor ziplock bags keep tobacco from drying out. I agree with the mason jar approach. Yeah they do pile up fast, but they make for a great conversation piece. And it gives you an excuse to build a pipe cabinet or make a smoking room = ).

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
unclearthur,

you have another alternative... Smoke the tobacco you have. Then, it won't matter if you get plowed out or not... :lol:
-Jason

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
i keep all my bulk baccy in the bags it came in and have a big airtight container i put them in. but going to change over to jars soon. i already have a nice cabinet to put them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.