PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
At the cheap booze and smoke shop in Humansville Missouri they sell pouches of Half and Half and beside it there’s a new brand called Tin Star, buy one get one free. For $1.50 I couldn’t resist.

Tin Star is RYO tobacco, and it’s “expanded”. Each pouch is only .35 (9.92 grams). The first pack I tried rolling cigarettes and there are exactly 20 regular smokes per pack. They are delicious, a blend of burley and Virginia tobaccos.

Tin Star comes in 3 and 8 ounce packages, for about a dollar an ounce.

I’m smoking my first pipe of the morning with Tin Star and it’s great tasting, mild, but not complicated tobacco.

Somewhere in my tobacco stash is a small sack of Bull Durham, that came with papers. Tin Star and other blends like it are modern Bull Durham equivalents, except the new brands are surprisingly good, and come in sealed and zip lock resealable packages.

Not more than two miles from our farm there’s an old abandoned railroad line that closed in 1935. My father said that each morning he’d go out to milk and often there’d be a hobo or two in the barn, and he’d send them to his mother, for a hot breakfast and change of clothes, and they’d work a few days and hop another freight. It’s nice to know, a man can still smoke for pocket change.

B683C20E-1D82-4669-ABF2-0FD63702E34F.jpeg

The old time ballads always had a hobo rolling his own pills.

There’s still room in this old world, for cheap tobacco.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I think they stopped making Bull Durham in the late 1980s as it had vanished by the time I arrived in the U.S in the mid 1990s. I have always regretted never trying the stuff.

Reactions: Briar Lee

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
Nothing to add except that I love these reviews of random stuff, and love the associated stories even more.