PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Hello, cigar-burning brethren.

I've currently got my stogies in a tupperdor - a pretty big Ziploc brand storage tub with a foam sealing gasket - and I'm thinking about converting to a coolidor.

My main reason is because I estimate that the coolidor will stay... well, cooler in the summer. Here in TX, my apartment gets up to 85 degrees easily on the hottest days, even with the air running full-blast. The A/C can't keep up, so I'm worried about my cigars getting too hot.
I'm also digging the way some guys set up their coolidors using the Coleman Xtreme 150qt coolers, with the shelves and all.

The container I'm using seals in humidity very well. It just doesn't do anything to protect against heat fluctuations. So I'm asking those who use coolidors, or those who have used both, if they believe that the coolidor has a big advantage over the tupperdor in this instance, or if it's irrelevant without some kind of cooling element.

I considered a wineador, but ruled it out for two reasons:

A) I buy pretty cheap cigars, and even my collection of 200+ cigars would cost less than getting a wine fridge that would fit them. I like a lot of the cheaper bundle sticks from Holt's.

B) I'm not extremely picky about the exact condition of the cigars as long as they are kept within a reasonable range of temperature/humidity and don't get stale or outright ruined.

So, is it worth it to upgrade for the heat protection, or am I dumb to expect a cooler with no ice in it to have any kind of insulating effect?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
A 5000 BTU window AC unit is $150 and might keep your cigars AND you cooler and more comfortable in a small room.

A cooler with no ice would eventually equalize to room temperature.

Grab two of these "ice packs" and rotate them from cooler to freezer every day or two, maybe. No water mess to deal with. $3 each.

1582609845144.png

I don't know jack about cigar maintenance, though, so maybe those are terrible ideas... cray

1582609828817.jpeg

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I've used the large Ziploc container with a couple 60gram 65% Boveda humidity packs for a few years. Mine is stashed in a closet on the shady side of my house and I live in a dry climate. I'd be most concerned about mold with those temps so keep your cigars on the dry side. I like to hear the filler crackle when I roll the foot of the cigar between my fingers. If they're smoking fine I wouldn't change a thing for the cigar's sake. I also keep cigars in fancy setups but the Ziploc stashed in the closet is the only one that's been low maintenance and trouble free.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I have had cigars stored in bags with Boveda packs stored for over 10 years and they smoke great. I have also had a 150 cooler and have no issues. In my cooler I have it set up with an oasis humidifier because I got tired of replacing so many boveda packs.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I think you could stay with the tupperdor. As mentioned above, cooler part of the house and away from sunlight is important. Bovedas work great. Heartfelt beads are another great alternative. They are reusable, so don't let the initial cost keep you from getting some. In my experience, humidity control is more important than temperature. I would aim for 65%.
I would not try ice packs. I did years ago and the resulting condensation from the melting packs created a mess and crazy high humidity.

Reactions: kwg116 and Bengel

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I use both. The coolerdor works very, very well. Almost too well, as you have to periodically open it to get some fresh air in there to circulate. I use Heartfelt beads, but Boveda packs are also great, if a bit pricy. One of the advantages to the cooler over the tupperware is the cooler can't be penetrated by light. Also, you can store boxes, which makes organizing and finding your cigars easier than a bunch of singles in a desktop or tupperdor.

I live in a very mild climate, but that also means I have no AC. When we get summer weather into the 80's and 90's, which is not super common, that's how hot the house gets. I have not had any issues, but you will probably want to compensate by dialing down the humidity a bit when it gets hot. When you consider the countries where these cigars come from, a little heat is nothing new. But a combination of high heat and high humidity could lead to mold and bugs. I find 65% to be a perfect RH for me, and it's a fine compromise between the Cubans which do better with a lower RH and many of the Nicaraguans and other NCs that seem to do better with a bit higher RH

Reactions: odobenus

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
A 5000 BTU window AC unit is $150 and might keep your cigars AND you cooler and more comfortable in a small room.

A cooler with no ice would eventually equalize to room temperature.

Grab two of these "ice packs" and rotate them from cooler to freezer every day or two, maybe. No water mess to deal with. $3 each.

View attachment 20589

I don't know jack about cigar maintenance, though, so maybe those are terrible ideas... cray

View attachment 20588

I considered a really, really small ice pack in the bottom, wrapped in a towel to prevent condensation. It might not be a great idea but I might try it on the hottest says.

One day in August 2018 when it was like 112° out, I came home to my apartment being 96°, with the A/C wailing in futile desperation trying to keep up. It was miserable. Gonna have to try something to cool em off.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I've used the large Ziploc container with a couple 60gram 65% Boveda humidity packs for a few years. Mine is stashed in a closet on the shady side of my house and I live in a dry climate. I'd be most concerned about mold with those temps so keep your cigars on the dry side. I like to hear the filler crackle when I roll the foot of the cigar between my fingers. If they're smoking fine I wouldn't change a thing for the cigar's sake. I also keep cigars in fancy setups but the Ziploc stashed in the closet is the only one that's been low maintenance and trouble free.

I'm thinking about trying PG solution to help prevent mold. My closet that they're in seems to stay a few degrees cooler than any other room. It's full to the brim of cigars, pipe tobacco, whiskey, and ammo cans, though... oh, and some clothes. ?

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I think you could stay with the tupperdor. As mentioned above, cooler part of the house and away from sunlight is important. Bovedas work great. Heartfelt beads are another great alternative. They are reusable, so don't let the initial cost keep you from getting some. In my experience, humidity control is more important than temperature. I would aim for 65%.
I would not try ice packs. I did years ago and the resulting condensation from the melting packs created a mess and crazy high humidity.

I'm a little too cheap just to use Bovedas, but I might throw a single 65% in with the silica just to keep the humidity in check - the moistened silica gel seems to work almost too well.
What I'm thinking though is that I might have to rotate the Bovedas because they would probably continue to soak up moisture.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I use both. The coolerdor works very, very well. Almost too well, as you have to periodically open it to get some fresh air in there to circulate. I use Heartfelt beads, but Boveda packs are also great, if a bit pricy. One of the advantages to the cooler over the tupperware is the cooler can't be penetrated by light. Also, you can store boxes, which makes organizing and finding your cigars easier than a bunch of singles in a desktop or tupperdor.

I live in a very mild climate, but that also means I have no AC. When we get summer weather into the 80's and 90's, which is not super common, that's how hot the house gets. I have not had any issues, but you will probably want to compensate by dialing down the humidity a bit when it gets hot. When you consider the countries where these cigars come from, a little heat is nothing new. But a combination of high heat and high humidity could lead to mold and bugs. I find 65% to be a perfect RH for me, and it's a fine compromise between the Cubans which do better with a lower RH and many of the Nicaraguans and other NCs that seem to do better with a bit higher RH

Lower humidity sounds like a good idea, especially since I like to dry the cigars just a little bit before smoking them anyway.
I've heard that using PG solution instead of plain distilled water helps prevent mold. I wonder if it would have any effect in preventing beetles as well.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've never used the PG solutions or special products, so I can't vouch for them, but I bet there's plenty of reviews of the different ones to check out. If you check out the Friends of Habanos message board, there are guys that routinely keep the RH the low 60's, some even down to like 58. That seems awfully low to me, but those guys have been storing cigars successfully for many years. I think I read the Davidoff shop in London used to keep cigars in their long-term storage right around 60, too. So I think the 70/70 advice is probably outdated or was just meant as a simple to remember piece of advice. I shoot for about 65, personally, but am comfortable with my cigars fluctuating anywhere between about 60 and 70, though I'd really prefer they stay between 63-67 the vast majority of the time. If you use enough beads or Bovedas or whatever for your unit and have a good seal, maintaining a range like that isn't too hard. Anyway, sorry for being wordy. Good luck!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've never used the PG solutions or special products, so I can't vouch for them, but I bet there's plenty of reviews of the different ones to check out. If you check out the Friends of Habanos message board, there are guys that routinely keep the RH the low 60's, some even down to like 58. That seems awfully low to me, but those guys have been storing cigars successfully for many years. I think I read the Davidoff shop in London used to keep cigars in their long-term storage right around 60, too. So I think the 70/70 advice is probably outdated or was just meant as a simple to remember piece of advice. I shoot for about 65, personally, but am comfortable with my cigars fluctuating anywhere between about 60 and 70, though I'd really prefer they stay between 63-67 the vast majority of the time. If you use enough beads or Bovedas or whatever for your unit and have a good seal, maintaining a range like that isn't too hard. Anyway, sorry for being wordy. Good luck!

I like my cigars around 62%. Below that and the wrappers start to get a bit fragile. How do you think Bovedas function differently than PG? Unless I'm missing something, they both absorb moisture above a certain RH and release it below a certain RH. You could use PG and just experiment until you have the right amount to maintain the humidity where you want it. Regardless of what you use, you still need to monitor it on a reasonable basis.

Use a coolidor for bulk storage and transport between winter and summer quarters. Up North I keep it in a basement. Down South in the ambient and A/C If it gets too warm. Using 70 % RH Heartfelt beads and distilled water for humidification. Transport in an ambient RV storage compartment. Two years now and no issues with the cigars .

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_163144666.jpg
    IMG_20201205_163144666.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201027_144136019_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201027_144136019_HDR.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.