2 Fresh Peter Heding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
As you will remember, I surveyed members of the forum and asked for three separate recommendations for newbies and for myself.

1. Flavoured, cherry and chocolate, primarily aromatics for newbs
2. English style
3. Orientals.

I've almost compiled my surveys and will let you know what I have added to my collection over the next few days. Impossible to get them all, but many were duplicated to the extent that I bought them first.

As I failed to run the gauntlet last week to the tune of $400, I'm afraid my tobacco buying days are pretty much over until fall, and as my mother used to say and would say to me now if she were still here, "You need another tobacco and pipe like you need another hole in your head." Or, more likely, she would say "You need another tobacco and pipe like a bull needs tits." My mother was a real character, full of old country wisdom.

All that aside, I have three stellar tobaccos that I'd like to recommend now, and have been added to my own stable as upper eschalon staples, and am putting them forth now, ahead of the pack in my threads.

Presbyterian Mixture (English) What intrigued me about this recommendation is that there was only one. Nobody else. I wondered why, and still do. The tin says that it is an introduction to the English style of tobacco. It's more than that. It's a delightful, stellar smoke with a slightly sweet undertone. This tobacco also has the virtue of tasting the same from beginning to end, with no twists or turns. I'll look forward in the fall to getting a few more tins, even though I make my own English now.

Black Frigate No recommendations at all except from the Captain himself, who said in a post that he smokes it all the time. From trying this tobacco, I learned clearly the difference between and English and a Navy style tobacco. To my surprise, I prefer the Navy style, and I need go no farther than this, because I also have about 4 ounces of TobaccoBarn Rockwell, also a Navy style, which is my go to morning smoke. I don't need more than these two, and will be ordering about three tins of this when the smoke clears, so to speak. A fantastic, bold Navy for those who like this category.

Bengal Slices Don't remember any specific recommendations, but ran across it on the vendor's website, like the description, and ordered a tin on spec. BINGO! Right up my alley. Bold, flavourful and complex. My apologies if there was a recommendation.

So that's my pre-release trailer. The main show will be posted in pending threads.

Thanks for looking in. :col: