PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

garageb08

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2012
Anyone have ideas to correct offset stems because of the threads. I guess someone put too much torque on it. I always run into this with estate pipes. I have ignored some nice little purchases due to he stem not lining up. I have fixed a few by taking the tenon and forcing it back but that doesn't always work...Snap...bend...crack...crap into the garbage.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Try heating the stem before you crank on it, I use a hair dryer. Not all screw in stems are put together the same way. Grabow Ajustomatics are not threaded into the stem,the tenon is made to have a friction fit. Ajustomatics can be free up usually by heating the tenon for a few seconds with a lighter or match and then screw into shank and turn clockwise. It should break loose and you can keep turning it CLOCKWISE until it lines up. They are made to do that.Sometimes requires heating 2-3 times.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I'm with ejames.I have a willard that had that issue and I did the same and it worked just fine.I also have a kaywoodie that it didn't work on.It has a stinger that screws into a band that screws into the shank.What worked for that one was screwing the band in the shank rather hard then screwing the stinger in lightly but still snug.For the record this fix was for a slightly off-set stem.

garageb08

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2012
Thanks, ejames. I hope I explained my problem correctly. I guess the threading problem is like nightmare said. I have a shank with a thread metal insert, then the male end is on the stem with a stinger attached sometimes and it might not have one.
dsc00330-150x112.jpg
But the two don't line-up. Usually the stem turns a little too far and the mouth piece is crooked. But I guess you say I can heat up the stem and I can turn the male end with the stinger on it to get the threads to line up? what I have:
dsc00325-600x450.jpg

this is what I want to get to:
dsc00328-150x112.jpg

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I had a kw with that problem, I heated the stem similar to what ejames described, but I actually heated it at the vulcanite/tenon joint until I could smell hot rubbed, the whole thing was easy to move then, but it would move in and out freely too because it melted the rubber around the metal. I got it turned and had no more problems.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The type of tenon will determine where the heat needs to be applied. With a tenon that is screwed in the STEM you need to heat the stem. This would be the case with the old Kaywoodies and your Linkmans GarageBo8. Heat the STEM till it's pretty hot-but not hot enough to bend.You just want the heat to penetrate to the threads inside. Using padded pliers turn the tenon in the direction it needs to go. Make small adjustments and keep the stem warm.Once you have it lined up let it cool completely before using.

• Angry
Reactions: Bogey5577504

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Sometimes a washer just the right thickness will bring the stem to the right point. Not big on looks and with one of mine, the stem is actually upside down, but works.

garageb08

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2012
Lazydog...I thought about that too. :wink: May try if nothing else works. How should I heat the stem. hairdryer, heat gun...? Don't want to cause damage, may practice on old spare stem to see the time it takes to heat to the right temp. Will post when I finish. Thx again. Oh...has anybody run across and old Linkman's Dr. Grabow like this one? Logo is a propeller type not a spade. Has pat. #, shape #, and chevron on shank...never ran into one of these so far, thought it interesting and old. Not too buggered up to smoke either. $4.00 at Peddlers Mall...I love those finds.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I Have around 40-50 of the old Linkmans. Yours is probably from the late 30's to early 40's IIRC. At that time the DR. Grabows were just one line made by Linkmans,they made several others.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I had a gbd meer that did not line up, I got a wine cork and a razor blade cut a thin washer, screwing it in it had enough compression to make the stem line up without breaking anything, didn"t look too bad either Tbradsim the old cajun

garageb08

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2012
Hey...it worked. I heated the stem with a hair dryer and used a small needle nose pliers to turn the threaded stinger and it lined up fine. Thanks for the advice! Now for a smoke... :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.