PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
After a year‘s use, I thought a review might be useful to other buyers considering a Vauen pipe of this sort.

BLUF: it is beautifully made piece with a (IMO) high grade of briar and pressed meershaum lined bowl. I also will not purchase another.

It is a good smoker with no gurgle and tightly fit. For those considering one, my caution is that in combining briar and meerschaum you gain none of the full benefit of either type.

Cleaning must be done very carefully so as not to mark the meer lining, and a break in process was recommended by the vendor consisting of small bowls before further filling the pipe. My lining rapidly developed hairline cracks throughout the bowl which have thus far been cosmetic and are stabilized by carbon buildup. (One of which is visible in the photo).

What I do like is the great filtration system, which does work with no bypass when using their filters.

I have another Vauen Fuego 740 which has turned out to be a gurgle machine. Perhaps the meershaum lining does absorb more than their full briar Version.

I hope my experience helps you make the best decision for you should you consider the purchase of this or similar pipe! Caveat emptor.

Attachments

• 05D52770-2629-43A5-93D0-56CE069345A4.jpeg
    05D52770-2629-43A5-93D0-56CE069345A4.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 22
  • B8223325-BB20-4FCE-AD37-C6E744AFD716.jpeg
    B8223325-BB20-4FCE-AD37-C6E744AFD716.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Casual and MattRVA

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Very nice grain on the pipe. The first photo reflects quite a bit of light ... is that a lacquer or shellac finish or did you just polish it before the photo ? I prefer simply waxed pipes.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
in combining briar and meerschaum you gain none of the full benefit of either type.
This is a great point and a big reason I avoid most "all-in-one" things. Very nice review.

I'm a big fan of Vauens, they make really great factory pipes for the price. I wonder if the gurgling Fuego is due to its intense bent or just a bit of dud pipe?

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Over the years I've had several meerschaum lined pipes, none of them lasted. They were store brands, maybe Tinderbox, IIRC. The meerschaum eventually cracked and pieces of it fell out. I thought maybe I could salvage a briar pipe by removing all of the meerschaum, that didn't work too well as the internal dimensions were far from traditional and it left the walls very thin.