This Seller Wished Upon The Right Star (Disney Pipe Auction)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Peterson Pipes
6 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
23 Fresh Ropp Pipes
12 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I get the "Disneyana" focus. Collectors go after all kinds of things that have an historical connection, glamorous previous ownership, etc.

What I don't understand is how a company that was synonymous with fulfilled dreams and premium-mindedness was OK with selling low end merchandise. You'd think they'd want Disney-stamped pipes to be a prestige item, not a quality level that's referred to today as a "basket pipe."

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I get the "Disneyana" focus. Collectors go after all kinds of things that have an historical connection, glamorous previous ownership, etc.

What I don't understand is how a company that was synonymous with fulfilled dreams and premium-mindedness was OK with selling low end merchandise. You'd think they'd want Disney-stamped pipes to be a prestige item, not a quality level that's referred to today as a "basket pipe."
I wonder if Disneyland pipes were better when Walt was alive?

Reactions: milk

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I think I may have started this craze last year by bidding something like $500 to make sure I won it. I got it for $402, and I was surprised it went that high. (I think they normally go for $200-$300.) I think mine might even be unsmoked, and it’s a Comoy’s.

Then the next one that hit ebay this year was in poor condition and went for around $500.

Then the one after that was a really weird shape, but still went for $650 if memory serves.

Then this one, which is a bad example (and might even have a replacement stem), went for $750.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
You have to account for Disneyana collectors too.
With Disney stamped on anything, common sense goes out the window.
When we were clearing out our house to sell, we found my daughters maschine mashed Disney pennyies book from 2002. I was going to throw it out (daughter said she didn't want it) but on a lark, searched it on Ebay. I sold it for $200 in a few hours.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
You have to account for Disneyana collectors too.

The supply of these must have really dwindled for Diseyana collectors to be this desperate.

I am also appalled by the poor quality of this pipe. From a way-back Radio Show episode, I recall Brian Levine talking about high quality Comoy-made pipes with an inlaid Mickey Mouse silhouette in the stem. I am not sure when that was, but this pipe is not of the same generation.

The pipe does, however, make me feel much better about my Silver Dollar City pipe that was probably made by GBD.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
I think I may have started this craze last year by bidding something like $500 to make sure I won it. I got it for $402, and I was surprised it went that high. (I think they normally go for $200-$300.) I think mine might even be unsmoked, and it’s a Comoy’s.

Then the next one that hit ebay this year was in poor condition and went for around $500.

Then the one after that was a really weird shape, but still went for $650 if memory serves.

Then this one, which is a bad example (and might even have a replacement stem), went for $750.
You should ask this pipe’s seller for a commission.