PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Appayipyip

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
USA - midwest
can anyone speculate on what they think will happen to pipe tobacco in the USA in the next 5-10 years? Anyone think we are looking at brand unavailability or significant price increases in particular states?

Appayipyip

Lurker
Sep 21, 2022
USA - midwest
Prices will always go up. Brands will always disappear when they are no longer profitable.
With the win the premium cigar industry got in the courts it looks like they are safe for at least a few years before they are targeted again. I wonder if pipe tobacco has some buffer period or can anything happen at anytime ?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You have to understand the mind of the zealot. They have a fairly insignificant life. Were probably unpopular at school and spurned by the girls. With the echo chamber of social media they can amplify their views and people mistake it for the voice of the masses. If they are not involved in some perceived existential struggle to ban/cancel something their life has no meaning. Once the offending 'thing' be it cigars, tobacco or whatever the cause de jour maybe is banned or restricted they move on to the next thing that offends them. I met one of these people once who informed me he was a 'Professional Agitator' for social causes. He lived on donations, seemed to have personal hygiene issues and some rather suspect sexual predilections. His only joy in life was going on marches with his megaphone screaming the slogan of the day. Whilst this type of puritanical nob end exists our hobby and peaceful enjoyment will always be under threat.