PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
This is the third pipe I made in the new shop. I wanted to make a Rhodesian and after drilling the block, I started shaping. The tool rest moved on me catching the corner of the block and almost pulling it from my jaws. (The ones I made, but they held fast and didn't kill me with a flying block of briar) Upon another look I saw that there was now a crack all the way across the block. I pulled on the two pieces and they came apart leaving what looked like Plateaux on the lower front of the bowl I was shaping. I decided not to toss it and go ahead and finish it, if for nothing more than the practice.
When I was done I found that the block would have had some nice flame grain down the sides and up the shank if not for the accident it may have made a really nice pipe. Of course as I shaped I also found lots of little flaws. But I wanted to stay with an idea that popped into my head when the piece broke off. So I left it smooth and called it "Jekylle and Hyde" My thinking, a great smooth finish with the really bad trying to come out with a wisp of smoke.
Here is what I came up with and as usual, the pipe looks better than the pictures portray. I really need to work on my photography skills.
100_0422.jpg

100_0421.jpg

100_0420.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wow ! You do some nice work. :clap: This is a fine looking little pipe; and the "flawed" area gives it

a distinctive personality. Just tell a prospective buyer that a pipe is an organic thing, and such

imperfections are his assurance that it is a genuine, natural briar product.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Beautiful work, dawg--I really like the way you've combined elements of freehand and classic Rhodesian with that one! :clap: And that is a pretty hunk of briar underneath, "blemish" and all.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Be careful with the lathe. I once had a bad catch on a bowl, but it stayed in the chuck. Then I had a large out of balance wooden item rotating at 800 RPM. Also the on/off switch was on the other side of the lathe. Immediately after that experience, I installed an off switch on the other side of the lathe, so I would not have to enter the danger zone to stop it.
Nice pipe. You made a good recovery on a bad situation.
Winton

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
What a great little pipe. Let us know if you are selling any of them in the future.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Nicely done :)
As for the picture taking, Cyndi made a light box on her desk with a couple of lamps and white fabric in the background.
Another option is something like this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras-photography/a205/

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
love it! awesome unique take on a classic shape!

and if you ask me flaws, aging, and imperfections only add to the beauty of objects.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I would take a pipe made with love that has a flaw over a superficially perfect pipe made on a production line anyway.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Thanks for all the positive comments on the flawed pipe. I'm having fun with pipe making and learning as I go. I'll post more as I make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.