PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Ok, I'm a new guy to pipes, but I have always been a tinkerer and hands on. I'm very good with my hands, and not afraid to make mistakes.
so here's my idea, stop me if it sounds half baked.

I want to try and make a pipe from green white birch. the birch I can get no issue, the bowl I can get rough out easy, I have the tools, my only "how the heck" moment comes when it comes to making an air hole in the stem. I like curved pipes, but I have no idea how to drill a hole though the stem to make one! is there a special trick or something? not looking to do anything fancy like filters or anything, just and oldschool pipe.

I think it would be a cool little thing to have kicking around to be able to say "I made this" and have it age with me. That and I'm always looking for ways to be cheap lol

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Drill first . Bend to shape and stick it in the attic for a while till it at least partially cures.

You can get what are called bell hangers bits or aircraft bits that are quite long to do the drilling. I do all my drilling on my lathe. It's more precise .

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Welcome to the world of pipes.

I think we'd all like a pipe we made ourselves, but most will never get around to actually doing it...

You will definitely need a few specialized tools, at the very least some proper drill bits for the airway and the bowl.

Most people start researching and brainstorming and never actually get around to doing it.

Good luck, keep us posted

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
see, i'm the guy who has the truck that should not be on the road because i know how it SHOULD be done, and i know how I can do it. special tools? pfft, i'll macgyver it to the end!

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i don't know about birch either. haven't seen any information with people using it for pipes. if i'm not mistaken one can get blocks of dried cherry wood sold for turning. seems like the best second choice option to briar.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
i figure young, green birch will add an interesting flavor, and something unique to the mix. i'm not really planning on staining it right away, so i figure i can just try my way around with different wood if i don't like it.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Most wood will crack and split over a period of time as a pipe. Some very quickly, others may be more long term.

I think the reason we've settled on briar is how well it holds up to heat over the long run.

Using birch or whatever else should be fine just to learn with. But be sure the wood will not release anything toxic when combusted.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Depending on the amount of "bend",it can either be drilled at 90 degrees or anywhere from 45 to 90. Check here for tons of pipe making info,take a close look at the drawing on the home page to get an idea of how drilling is done.

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/

I'd think green wood would be prone to cracking from the heat? I have used well cured Mulberry with good results.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
This : http://www.pimopipecraft.com/book.html Is about the best source of information there is for a new maker short of working with a pro.

clutch

Lurker
Jun 10, 2011
Has anybody tried one of the "kits"? I have seen them around the web and have often wondered if it ws worth the hassle.
I know if you use a "kit" it isn't the same as going out and finding the choice cuts from choice wood and making it from scratch. But I'm more like the guy that found the wood, started the project then reached a WTFDIDN (...what do I do now) place and put it on the shelf in the man cave destined to become garage sale fodder in the not so near future...
Doews anyone have experience with these kits?

hippie

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
And on the topic on wether birch is good to make a pipe I have made a few with it and they smoke great :puffpipe:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Clutch,the kits are good for those who don't have the tools or skills to properly drill a pipe.You can make one with files and sandpaper,a Dremel will speed the process.Don't expect great graining and be prepared to rusticate if there are a lot of flaws in the briar.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
if i do make one, the first one i make is going to have a vibe like a cob, backwoods, cheap, and carefree.

i'm going to cut a hunk of wood from a tree that was in my yard, and start tommorow

Jun 17, 2011
Ive thought about the same thing, but using some nice maple, just not sure about a stem, lack of that kinda thing around here, lots of maple though, unless I go old school and wood stem and mouthpiece

hippie

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
What I did for my stem is I went and got some cheap plastic tipped cigars and used those they work pretty well

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
ontario,use a stem from another pipe or buy a .99 cent cheapo off ebay.Just have to make sure you have a drill bit that will make the proper sized hole for that stem.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
dam good thing I checked this today, i almost for got to go get the wood!

it's amazing how fast a really sharp hatchet cuts though green wood lol.

hippie

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
Have fun making your pipe its such a rewarding experience and slightly addicting I can't wait to make my next one I've made 4 so far good luck shimrra

Status
Not open for further replies.