PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellar

Lurker
Oct 30, 2010
I am a very new smoker. i have smoked only 3 times so far and i have gotten two types of tobacco. one is a (dark looking) but smells very sweet (no specific aroma except sweet)and the other was a Chery tobacco, i def prefer the sweet one (that i dont know the name of) to the cherry. i am going to go back the the store tom and get more.
could someone just give me a quick overview on the types of tobacco?

i know there is aromatic,English, Virgina, and some others i am not aware of.

i am looking to get a light , sweet tobacco with a lot of flavor.i dont want artificial flavor but one that has spices in it and would really stand out. (i really hate bitter)
does anyone know of a common tobacco that would fit this? and can someone give me a brief overview of the different types of tobacco or a link to it?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For anyone familiar with this type of question on this website, I'm afraid my response will seem rather hackneyed. Lane's 1-Q, a cavendish with a sweet-leaning taste that doesn't obscure the tobacco's flavor. It goes by several aliases in the B&M world. Just ask for 1-Q.
As for the various tobaccos, Russ Ouellette's Tobaccy University is a good place to start.
Welcome to the little fraternity here, and evaluate all the responses that are sure to arise in this thread during the next 24 hrs.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Hellar,

I hope this is of some help to you.

There is some redundancy in the links below.

But, I think this will help clear up some of your questions, and help you to recognize some of the differences between tobaccos.

For Example: Turkish and Oriental tobaccos are very similar and are to some extent interchangeable terms.
Also the first link has the parts of the pipe, again some basic information that every pipe smoker should be familar with.

Welcome to the fraternity!
Parts of the Pipe

Latakia

Turkish

Oriental

Perique

Virginia

Cavendish

Burley

Reactions: hyperstar

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Welcome to the new world of pipe tobaccy, so many to try and so little time.
Try this site : http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
On the left side there are articles explaining the different types / blends of pipe tobaccos and a how to for beginners.
Have fun with it.

hellar

Lurker
Oct 30, 2010
thanks for all the replies. is there any common one that you would recommend something that stands out from all the rest and makes you go wow flavor wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.