PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
So the underpants gnomes have branched out to pipe tampers then. ?

I have 2 nice tampers that regularly disappear and reappear so I rarely get to use them. However I am a fan of Czech tools and lose them on a regular basis. That's why I buy them 3-5 at a time so I can just grab the next one. When I get down to 1-2 tampers, I go buy more. The wifey thinks this is hilarious.

What really sucked was when I lost the last one in India. No replacements available so I had to get creative. No, one does not just pick up a stick while in India and use that unless one wishes to have an exotic disease.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Sometime at the beginning of the 21st century, I picked up three Czech tools (made in the Czech Republic, not China) at Iwan Ries. I got three because they were inexpensive and I figured I’d lose them all, one by one. Well, I’ll be damned if I don’t still have the same three Czech tools today, the only ones I’ve ever brought. One’s in my pocket right now.

I still mostly tamp with a finger.

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
this thread hits home for me. in the last three years i have lived in three houses. the present house is likely the one i will die in, so i finally got everything unpacked and in use again, including my pipes. i have czech tools all over the place, but i only had one special tamper...one made of briar than jm boswell tossed in with a pipe i bought from him.

i have torn the house from end to end looking for it. it's not here.

Reactions: JOHN72

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My good shit never leaves the house. Including pipes. Out and about I only burn low end pipes with pipe nails, with rare exception. I do have one castello that makes it out into the wild, but only because it has a silver wind cap that is sometimes necessary, especially when boating.

Up here between the boats, planes, ATVs, water all over the goddamn place, etc. it's just a matter of time until something ends up getting run over, dropped into the drink, etc. I'd rather it be cheap if it does.

Fbg121

Lurker
Dec 24, 2020
I hope it turns up for you. Now I’m gonna repeat all the crap my wife tells me when I lose something, and she sees me looking around, *ahem*:
1) Where was the last place you had it?
2) Are you sure you lost it?
3) You probably have too much junk if you can’t keep up with it.
4) I’m sure it will turn up.
5) Did you actually try moving stuff?
?
Of course, all of that is nonsense, and a complete pain in the ass to listen to while I’m hunting whatever it is I lost, except that last one. I’m bad about setting things on the nearest horizontal surface and forgetting about it, and sure as the world, usually what I’m looking for has had something laid on top of it by someone else. Ashamedly, sometimes by me. ?‍♂️
*hangs head* yep, this is me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.