PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I thoroughly enjoy 2 pipes that I crafted specifically for flakes and crumble cakes. If you already own small-bowl pipes, you need not read further.

I always noticed that Va/Vapers tasted best to me near the end of any pipe.

I had read articles that state:

A. Smaller pipes are best for flake tobacco

B. Bowl cake makes a pipe perform better
Of course, the bowl caking provides better burning characteristics to any pipe, much like a
blackened WOK makes better stir-fry.
Could smaller bowl diameter contribute a taste-factor that bowl-cake is coincidentally helping?
All pipe bowls taper somewhat at the bottom; but not very much. Long before I started the
flake-pipe-quest, I experimented and found that the best compromise of rim diameter for draw on any pipe is 3/4 inch. I stayed with
that here. But beginning from half-way down, I drilled an ever smaller severe taper, so that approaching
bottom, the cavity size was a cup just under 1/4 inch diameter. (After break-in), what a
difference in captured flavor!
I made another pipe, this one also a nose-warmer, but full-bent. Same success.
If you do not make your own pipes, perhaps you may try employing a cob, or "beater-pipe. The use
of pipe-mud to line the bottom half to a severe taper may work equally well.
I'm curious if others will agree, but You know what? I'M ALREADY THERE!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
It is a criminal offense to post a thread stating that you made pipes and fail to post pics. A call has been placed to the proper authorities! lol I am fairly certain that if you send said pipe along to an address to be discussed later, that you will get off with just a warning.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Haha, I agree no pictures is a crime, if it works as well as you suggest, you may be able sell them here

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I agree, a tapered chamber works best for flakes. I'd be interested in seeing your work as well.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
flake1c.jpg

Tapered chamber of favorite flake pipe.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I have a small bowl Earlof Esex pipe that is tapered and perfect for flake.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
flakepair1a.jpg

flakepair1c.jpg

Pair of incomplete experimental clones. Black walnut construction, outfitted with temporary plastic stems.

Shanks will get further treatment and mate to vulcanite/acrylic only after break-in trial.
free1a.jpg

I added the rustic freehand pic last minute. This one got me the reaction from an outsider that I had blown out the whole top. Freehands are easiest to make. Other people think the finished product is what I originally intended.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
deco1a.jpg

Yet another small pipe design I copied from an ebay pic. Its small, less tapered chamber also works with flake.
This one made from cherry is nice enough to attempt duplication with a briar block.
BTW, nice savinelli, buster. My humble creations above are of similar dimensions.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That is an interesting construction. I recall recently where G.L. Pease had written about preferring to smoke flakes in a wide, shallow chamber, such as in a pot. As I have no such pipes, has anyone done a comparison? Everyone has their own opinions of course, but I would be interested in hearing some of those opinions. My flake pipes tend to be narrowly constructed because I found them most suitable for the fold and stuff method, and strong flakes give me quite a nicotine hit.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
A wide, shallow chamber for flakes? Wow, that's entirely opposite from most of what I've read concerning good flake pipes. I suppose it depends entirely on your preferred method of preparing the flake. Fully rubbed, I imagine, can go in just about anything. I suppose the difficulty comes in choosing a fold and stuff pipe.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I have a Savinelli 611 shape is the best for smoking flake tobaccos. Also I highly reccomend not buying a pipe with a pre-carbonized bowl for flake.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
"Fully rubbed, I imagine, can go in just about anything. I suppose the difficulty comes in choosing a fold and stuff pipe."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dylan, I wholeheartedly agree. My flake-pipe quest was totally based on the fold+stuff presupposition. What's the point of flake tobacco selection and rubbing out? I once rubbed out a crumble-cake and got a lot of dark powder in my palms. What got into the bowl was nice and curly, but flat tasting. My excursion into chamber shaping yielded full-flavor from virginia flakes much further (earlier) from the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.