PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AreBee

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
For Father’s Day our girls booked the Ghost Tour at the Mark Twain House. I never knew it was considered one of the most haunted properties in New England. I had toured the house before during regular hours but this tour started at 9:00 PM and centered around paranormal encounters in the house. Really cool stuff and pipes everywhere!

IMG_3522.jpegIMG_3520.jpegIMG_3517.jpegIMG_3519.jpeg

AreBee

Mar 12, 2024
Well...did Mr. Clemens make an appearance?
Long story short, people felt shit. Two ladies claimed they heard footsteps above them in a room which was Sam’s study. One of my daughters winced in pain with what she described as a “searing headache behind her eyes” as we walked into a room. Turns out that we were in the room where Sam’s daughter Lucy passed away from Meningitis. After my daughter told me, the guide then told us that people often experience neck and head pain in that room. It gave me goosebumps! People also reported feelings of “heaviness” in certain areas, such as Lucy’s room, Sam’s study and his butler’s room.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I had the distinct pleasure of touring the house at 351 Farmington Avenue a number of years ago, and felt extremely comfortable and at-home during my visit there. My favorite areas were the dining room (the chimney of its fireplace has a window in the middle of it) and the billiard room on the third floor.

This home is truly a product of the gilded age, but I love it.

• Love
Reactions: AreBee

AreBee

Mar 12, 2024
I had the distinct pleasure of touring the house at 351 Farmington Avenue a number of years ago, and felt extremely comfortable and at-home during my visit there. My favorite areas were the dining room (the chimney of its fireplace has a window in the middle of it) and the billiard room on the third floor.

This home is truly a product of the gilded age, but I love it.
I noticed the fireplace with the window above it as well! I was looking at it like WTF is going on here?

Reactions: kcghost

AreBee

Mar 12, 2024
For those who may not know, Quarry Farm (located above Elmira, New York) was owned by the father (Jervis Langdon) of Mr. Clemens' wife, and was used by the Langdon and Clemens families as a vacation home. There Mr. Clemens wrote many of his works, including the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Very cool. One of the exhibits had quite a bit about Clemmons' summer adventures and Quarry Farm was a big part of it.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Roach1

Nov 25, 2023
Germany
I really like the ghost tours and always try to book them when on vacation. The London ghost tour is supposed to be great.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
There have been several reported experiences from staff and visitors over the years, enough so that Ghost Hunters has visited three times as well as Lorraine Warren.
Gotcha. But there wasn't like a murder or something that happened there? And there aren't any specific eerie events regarding Twain himself? Or are there?

AreBee

Mar 12, 2024
Gotcha. But there wasn't like a murder or something that happened there? And there aren't any specific eerie events regarding Twain himself? Or are there?
His daughter died in the house of meningitis at age 24 and that was the only known death. The theory is that the family absolutely loved the home and left after their daughter died because they were heartbroken that it held so many memories of her. There were some quotes about the home to the effect of “We will always be here.” (I paraphrase.)

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
His daughter died in the house of meningitis at age 24 and that was the only known death. The theory is that the family absolutely loved the home and left after their daughter died because they were heartbroken that it held so many memories of her. There were some quotes about the home to the effect of “We will always be here.” (I paraphrase.)
Thanks! That's spooky enough for me.

• Haha