12 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
That's the name of my jar of tailings, left-over but not enough to smoke tobacco, tobacco I don't really care for, and so on. I'm sure all of you have a similar jar you add to and eventually smoke. Sometimes, it's pretty good, eh?

So why the "skragg" moniker? Scrag, or scragg (I've seen it spelled both ways) is a nickname dating from the '50s and '60s, for a tall, unattractive woman. Think Olive Oyl from the comic strip and cartoon series "Popeye". I've known many skraggs in my life and generally preferred socializing with them to large melloned bimbos who are almost always full of themselves. Next, please.

What makes my tailing jar different is I go the dollar store and buy containers of dried parsley for exactly $1.00 for a full ounce, and, to stretch the tobacco tailings, add between 25-40% to my jar. It serves three purposes.

1. It stretches the tobacco in the depressive economic smoking environment/conditions of Canada.
2. It has no real discernable taste. Perhaps a touch of herbality, but certainly not unpleasant.
3. It is bone dry, and when you rotate the jar, it soaks up and absorbs the moisture content of the tailings in the tin.

Apparently, dried lavender and lavender flowers also qualify as a stretcher, and have the benefit of a small but present content of nicotine, but it does impart a distinctly floral presence to the smoke. Don't know. But I'm going to find out this fall when I raid my sister's garden when she cuts down her lavender. puffy

So, tell me about your jar of tailings, how you make it, and what it smokes like. Enquiring minds want to know!

Reactions: dottlejockey

jackattack

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Austin, TX
I use a tray to prep tobacco for my bowl. At the end of the day there's always bits left and they all go into a jar. Eventually I'll smoke it...it should be an interesting blend
20240716_205603.jpg

• Love
Reactions: gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I use a tray to prep tobacco for my bowl. At the end of the day there's always bits left and they all go into a jar. Eventually I'll smoke it...it should be an interesting blend
View attachment 324437
That's a great tray! I can see a new C&D tobacco tin inspired by it. Alice in Wonderland? The Mad Hatter's Banquet? Afternoon Tea Party? Love it!! :ROFLMAO:
I wouldn’t mix parsley with my tobacco but I do like the inventive use of the word “scrag”. Scrag was an often employed slang term when I was in high school meaning ~ bitch.
I guess those kind of names reflect the times and different places after they come in to use. In BC at that time, it definitely meant tall and homely, like Olive Oyle!

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
That's a great tray! I can see a new C&D tobacco tin inspired by it. Alice in Wonderland? The Mad Hatter's Banquet? Afternoon Tea Party? Love it!! :ROFLMAO:

I guess those kind of names reflect the times and different places after they come in to use. In BC at that time, it definitely meant tall and homely, like Olive Oyle!
I think your definition is accurate the connotation was just a bit different for high school boys in Alberta.

• Haha

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
The poor Canadians are smoking parsley, for God's sake.

Wait until the Gov finds out, they'll tax them outta that too.

I do have a scraps jar though.
My mother, never at a loss for words, would have said "You elected those idiots. You'll find sympathy in the dictionary between shit and syphillis."

I feel about the same way.

:poop: hahau

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
My mother, never at a loss for words, would have said "You elected those idiots. You'll find sympathy in the dictionary between shit and syphillis."

I feel about the same way.

:poop: hahau

I have nothing but sympathy for you guys. Hell, I love Canadians.

I hope yall beat that tyranny back, and I hope we do too.

A guy told me a bag if chew up there was like 50 bucks.. who could justify that expense?

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have nothing but sympathy for you guys. Hell, I love Canadians.

I hope yall beat that tyranny back, and I hope we do too.

A guy told me a bag if chew up there was like 50 bucks.. who could justify that expense?
Thanks! I've had nothing but love for Americans, too. Heck, half of my family, the real Polish Catholic side, lives in St. Louis! What a great city! And I used to frequent the antelope fields in Wyoming in my early hunting days. Platte River has some of the best trout fishing in the world. I could have lived the rest of my days happily in Casper. The rest of my family, the English side, lives all over the place, especially in Vancouver, Winnipeg and New York. I hope you beat the tyranny back, too! All the best!

jackattack

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Austin, TX
I love this tray. It's my consolation prize from a roommate who screwed me out of thousands of dollars years ago. The art on it is so good that I had to "liberate" it from it's former owner.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I happen to like/enjoy large melon bimbos. They're expensive to maintain but you don't have to talk to them a lot and you usually can exchange one for another.
Never heard the phrase "skragg" before but we were insanely crude when we are young.

Reactions: gord and BingBong

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have a nearly full 4 oz jar of leftovers that I intend to put in my noodle press. The resulting cake will go in a jar, then into my cabinet of jars. I will spend the following 5 years intending to smoke it eventually, then I will forget about it.
Ever thought of making chewing tobacco? Lots of vids online. I'm gonna try that myself!

Reactions: krizzose

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Ever thought of making chewing tobacco? Lots of vids online. I'm gonna try that myself!
I smoked cigarettes when I was younger and loved them, but quit a long time ago for all of the typical reasons. I still smoke cigars and pipes (obviously) because I love them. I tried dip when I was younger, and to my surprise absolutely hated it. My buddy chews whole leaf, which I’ve never tried, and I have to admit it looks great. However, I don’t want any more tobacco in my life than the ~4 bowls per week of pipe tobacco add the occasional cigar I have now, so I don’t even want to know if I’d truly like chew. Much like my attitude to Esoterica tobacco, I don’t even want to know how good it is.

Last edited:

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I smoked cigarettes when I was younger and loved them, but quit a long time ago for all of the typical reasons. I still smoke cigars and pipes (obviously) because I love them. I tried dip when I was younger, and to my surprise absolutely hated it. My buddy chews whole leaf, which I’ve never tried, and I have to admit it looks great. However, I don’t want any more tobacco in my life than the ~4 bowls of pipe tobacco add the occasional cigar I have now, so I don’t even want to know if I’d truly like chew. Much like my attitude to Esoterica tobacco, I don’t even want to know how good it is.
Yup, for sure. I'm reaching that point too, where ignorance could very well be bliss.

Reactions: krizzose

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I have several of these kinds of jars. Most started off as things i didn't like as well as my routine smokes, but have evolved into home blends that i do enjoy here and there. Even if a tobacco is mediocre, i just have too many good ones to choose from daily that it will go in a home blend jar simply because i know right off the bat i'll never reach for it over it's 'competition' in my consideration process. Once i get 3/4 of a jar full of like tobaccos VAs/VApers in one jar, burleys in another, etc, then i use blending tobaccos to round them out, tone them down or add dimensions needed to turn them into something intriguing enough to enjoy. I am, by nature, frugal, and hate waste, so this is an especially rewarding undertaking. I currently have 7 such jars of various sizes in rotation. ;)

• Love