Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
Have thoughts about gourd Calabash pipes? I finally smoked a half-dozen bowls in this ebay win (I know there are several watchers here). They advertised it as estate, but it was unsmoked; a relief after returning "weed pipes" in my price range. It's my second, the first lost sometime in the last 15 years.

They are deceptively cool smoking, although so flavorful it's easy to suck on one like a milkshake, acquiring an alkali burn. Years ago it was initially my latakia go-to, but soon I learned it is an excellent (and my only) aromatic pipe (Captain Black).

It's just so ungainly, and I've chipped a bowl before so I'm a bit OCD from the PTMCS (post traumatic meerschaum chip disorder).
20240814_174708.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Have thoughts about gourd Calabash pipes? I finally smoked a half-dozen bowls in this ebay win (I know there are several watchers here). They advertised it as estate, but it was unsmoked; a relief after returning "weed pipes" in my price range. It's my second, the first lost sometime in the last 15 years.

They are deceptively cool smoking, although so flavorful it's easy to suck on one like a milkshake, acquiring an alkali burn. Years ago it was initially my latakia go-to, but soon I learned it is an excellent (and my only) aromatic pipe (Captain Black).

It's just so ungainly, and I've chipped a bowl before so I'm a bit OCD from the PTMCS (post traumatic meerschaum chip disorder).
View attachment 330193
Never seen a calabash with a bamboo stem before!

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
Estates aren't always smoked, they've just been owned by someone.
I
Never seen a calabash with a bamboo stem before!
Maybe that pre-owner put it together. The bamboo is detachable and a little more comfortable because I can rest it against my chest. I think (or imagine) after back to back puffs it may be more tasty. I can't tell if it's lined. Maybe someone made these to sell as an add-on?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I

Maybe that pre-owner put it together. The bamboo is detachable and a little more comfortable because I can rest it against my chest. I think (or imagine) after back to back puffs it may be more tasty. I can't tell if it's lined. Maybe someone made these to sell as an add-on?
Whatever works for you, and gives you pleasure from your pipe

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
The "standard" 90-degree gourd calabash stem is part of the comfort-issue for me, as most are designed for "horizontal" holding, almost as severe as a horn. If you have other bent stems that will fit- Tsuge, in my case - you can get a more comfortable position with them IME/O so far. Not many pipe stems will fit a gourd - even filtered Missouri Meerschaum stems are too large.

Eventually I'll post over on the pipe maintenance forum for advice about bending my 90-degree stem but am still experimenting with alternatives. Any other experiences or thoughts about the stem shape? Do you prefer that angle?