PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Mmmm....... although mine is not signed it does say "First Published in 1954" (and no other notations) so it may be a first edition?

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Out of mild curiosity--since I am keen on inscribed books in a vague, general way-- I've occasionally looked for Dunhill books that have been signed. And my impression is that they are uncommon, regardless of which member of the Dunhill family might interest you.

As for this copy and its signature, I'd lean towards the "Nots."

While Alfred the younger (1896-1971) was both the author of this particular book, and indeed still alive, judging from a 1939 letter that I have a scan of, his signature was very different from his father's. See below.

On the other hand, what appears here seems to be loosely modeled on that of the elder Dunhill's very stylish one. This was actually used as a 1922 trademark by the company, and also appears--black on black-- on the slipcover of the 1992 coffee table book by Michael Balfour, Alfred Dunhill: One Hudred Years and More. See below.

I could of course be entirely wrong. But, it's at least a start on answering your riddle.

1939 Alfred H signed letter Letter.jpeg1922 registred trade mark logo.ashx.jpegDunhill Slipcase.jpg

Reactions: Ahi Ka

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
So you’re ruminating that this book which is not for sale, may in fact be a genuine counterfeit signed edition?… @Briar Lee this has you written all over it
Pretty much. Or strictly speaking, a genuine, counterfeit signed copy. (Signed, presumably, by the author's father--if not before he was born, then almost certainly before he wrote the book. . . .)

Reactions: Ahi Ka