The Generosity of Strangers

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wow, you mean you actually have friends? Judging by some of the comments you've made today I'm amazed you do lol
Woods is a cherished member that had contributed thoughtfully and with humor for many years. I’ve seen a vast knee jerk reaction to his post today, but he has said nothing warranting it. Or maybe, the British just have triggers that I’m not aware of.

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Woods is a cherished member that had contributed thoughtfully and with humor for many years. I’ve seen a vast knee jerk reaction to his post today, but he has said nothing warranting it. Or maybe, the British just have triggers that I’m not aware of.
Come on, please. He can say what he wants about Britain, it bothers me not. But as if, for one minute, the American members here would not be up in arms if someone said 'your country sucks'. I mean, come on man. There's no need for it.

Come on, please. He can say what he wants about Britain, it bothers me not. But as if, for one minute, the American members here would not be up in arms if someone said 'your country sucks'. I mean, come on man. There's no need for it.
Ha ha, I say it from time to time. I’m quite aware of the criticisms of my country. However, context. He didn’t say your country sux. He was responding to the actual problem a bloke was having in understanding the actual problem.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Ha ha, I say it from time to time. I’m quite aware of the criticisms of my country. However, context. He didn’t say your country sux. He was responding to the actual problem a bloke was having in understanding the actual problem.
And you're entitled to say it. But it lands differently when non-Americans say it. I wouldn't say it to you, or any other American. It's just rude, no need for it. For the record, I am well aware of Britain's many failings.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Our country sucks, too. Just less than your’s. Or maybe I should say that it sucks differently. Yes, that would be more accurate. It is human nature to do sucky things, and governments amplify and concentrate that suckitude in different ways. I prefer the American suckosity, but maybe that’s because I’m aclimated to it. Or maybe the US just sucks less than the UK.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Our country sucks, too. Just less than your’s. Or maybe I should say that it sucks differently. Yes, that would be more accurate. It is human nature to do sucky things, and governments amplify and concentrate that suckitude in different ways. I prefer the American suckosity, but maybe that’s because I’m aclimated to it. Or maybe the US just sucks less than the UK.
They've made great strides toward achieving a uniformity of suckosity across the western world at this point...and it's certainly reached hitherto undreamed of levels here. We should all just lay aside our differences at this point and feel united in general suckitude.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Anyone read 'Martin Chuzzlewit' by Charles Dickens? It is a satirical masterpiece in my opinion, and one of the things I like the most is that it is set in England but halfway through the book a main character goes to America.

This allows for Britain and and the US to be mocked in one sitting.

A very smugly satisfying read for me, not being a citizen of either! And the stereotypes in 1844 are fairly easily aligned with today, so maybe the cultural phenomenon that @woodsroad has called suckitude really is a thing that relates to its location...