PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
I recently received 3 flake blends and would like to tell you what I think from a beginner's perspective.

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding: I was truly hoping for some sort of fruity sweetness in this blend but nope. I heard all the rave reviews as to how great this blend is... not for me. It's spicy, extremely smoky flavored and overall it is not what I was hoping for.

Bengal Slices: I knew what I was expecting when I purchased these flakes. They are well balanced and has a smoothness that I am sure many have enjoyed. It does have a tangy matureness to it but settles down after a few draws.

Hearth & Home 10 to Midnight: This is actually a very nice blend... It does a have a bite to it but the sweet flavor compliments the spice. Overall, I am sure many, including beginners, would enjoy this blend.

R.O. Tastykake: This really is a great blend.. just wish they would have added more sweetness to it. It is extremely well balanced and blended to perfection. One doesnt overpower the other in this blend but the flavor is rich and bold. Great smoke for any level.

Final Thoughts: Would I buy these blends again? NO. Trying these blends made me realize that I do not like orientals, perique and too much latakia. If I had to be fair and kept one of these blends in my rotation, it would be Tastykake.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Aren’t these all crumble cakes? Sort of a cousin to flakes.

I’m not sure what flavour you’re looking for, but if it’s a Latakia flake with a milder flavour, I’d suggest Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake.

But there are legitimate flake tobaccos across all the genres. If you want fruity sweetness, no Latakia smokiness, I’d suggest Savinelli Brunello Flake.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't smoke any Latakia, Orientals or straight Burley blends.
I smoke flakes 99% of the time. I don't smoke any red Virginia flakes or any blends with more than a breaths worth of reds.

Here is a list of some of my favorite flakes. This list if for blends that are readily available. If you would like a list of hard to find but not impossible I can give you that as well.

Readily available:
Capstan Blue Flake and Gold Flake Straight Virginia
Peterson Flake(used to be Dunhill) Straight Virginia
Peterson University Flake Virginia/Burley with a touch of plum topping, not over done with the sauce.
Peterson Irish Flake Virginia/Burly
Solani 660 Silver Flake Virginia/Kentucky
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Solani 633 is a Virginia/Perique Flake
Peterson Navy Rolls another Virginia/Perique used to be Dunhill Navy Rolls
Savinelli Dublone d'Oro Virginia/Perique/Kentucky

This should keep you busy for a bit. All these blends made the cut to be in my cellar. That means they went through some serious testing to make it to my list.

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
I find SPC PP to be a lively, lovely blend. Spicy, yes indeed. But as I work my way down the bowl, the flavor dances. I find this blend to perform best in a narrow, tall bowl, sipped slowly. I find tart, BBQ and spicy to dance the night away. Love this blend.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Here is the thing about any blend with Latakia. Put that into a jar and let it settle for a week or two. Latakia will mellow out a bit and it will be more rounded smoke. Initial smoke right out of the tin can be little sharp, but I enjoy that also.

Try Peterson/Dunhill De Luxe Navy Doll. Put this in a jar and let it sit for about 3 months. Most excellent blend with deep dark fruit note that carries to the smoke with wonderful sweetness.

Reactions: ofafeather

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Final Thoughts: Would I buy these blends again? NO. Trying these blends made me realize that I do not like orientals, perique and too much latakia. If I had to be fair and kept one of these blends in my rotation, it would be Tastykake.
That realization will save you some time and money. However, be aware that your tastes may change down the road.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.