PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooredward

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
hey guys, relative newbie here with a question about the finish on my pipe.
my favorite pipe so far in my small collection is a Savinelli miele with a beautiful grain. I've had this pipe for only a few weeks. I was cleaning it the other day and noticed some scuffing or marks on the outside of the bowl, a pattern of dullness on the otherwise beautiful finish. it looks like just some dirt, so I took a damp cloth and tried to clean it but it won't come off. I've been very careful with this pipe so I don't think it got physically scraped or anything. anybody know what is going on here? Is there some coating on new pipes that can be marred? Any way to clean or restore this? Thanks in advance!
Edit: Moved to Pipe Repair and Maintenance, L.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
As a newly retired Marine (21 years ago) I was always worried about my hunting weapons not being

perfectly clean, and my boots being scuffed. My wife worries about the silver not being polished

and the floor doesn't look freshly swept after a couple hours.

I say just smoke it for a while and don't look at it.... Worry about it later, when you decide if

it really needs anything

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
It could be as simple as the wax on the finished surface wore off from handling, heat, or whatever.
Will it buff to a shine again? It isn't uncommon for a new pipe to loose wax a little more quickly than an older one with some buildup.

pooredward

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks for the welcome! I'll try to get a picture after work (but it may not come across well on a photo, we'll see).
D - I appreciate your sentiment and I can definitely get with that, I mostly just want to see if there's something I may be doing wrong that could further damage the finish. My hands may be grubby but they're not THAT grubby :)
mlaug - interesting, didn't realize that briars have a wax coating on them (I've heard of this for meers). It does seem likely to be some sort of wax issue then, maybe I can buff it back, will ask the gents at my B&M to use their buffing machine.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Just me.... I'm messin' with Ya'

There is so much knowledge here in this forum... Welcome aboard. Read and learn,

I'm still learning

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Hard to say without a photo, one possible reason is if the bowl has been excessively hot, as in almost to hot to handle.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome! I can understand you wanting it right. The folks here will be able to offer better advice than me, but have you tried waxing/polishing it yet?

pooredward

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
I have not done any waxing or polishing yet. I did give it a good rub with a soft microfiber cloth and a damp paper towel, with no effect. Do you have a recommended cleaning product that I should check out? thanks!

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
The way I look at it, my pipes, like my guitars, are treated like tools. I don't treat them poorly, rather with respect, but the sign of wear to me is a sign of experience and use (some would dare say love). The roots run deep...but true.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Buy this wax http://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax and a microfiber cloth, all you will ever need. It is specifically ment to be used for hand polishing, works fast and you don't need a buffing machine. It shines up really really well. They also make it in the 8oz version as well, just click acessories for that. I find the 1oz enough to polish all my pipes for a couple of years, but then I only have one briar pipe when I think about it... His shipping is only a couple of bucks so getting the small one off the bat can be worth it.
They do also make Paragon wax for smooth pipes, but I don't use it because it gets into any nick or grove and doesn't come out. The last thing I want is to have the brand name of my pipe completely white because the carving got filled in with wax, or to fill in with white any flaw in the black stem of the pipe. Halcyon II comes out a lot easier. Microfiber cloths can be found cheap on Amazon or Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.