PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
$5 cigars aren't elusive. I have a humidor FULL of them.... nnnn

I'm a novice cigar smoker and a 3rd degree black belt cheapskate.

I surf the sales and read/watch a lot of reviews. My average for enjoyment is about 4:1 and that's mainly because I keep trying new stuff. If I'd just stick with the top discoveries, I'd do OK but I just gotta try "one more"...

Currently enjoyed cheap sticks include the Macanudo Inspirado Black, the CAO Pilon and the Alec Bradley American Sun Grown. Also the Crowned Heads Juarez line and the CAO V series (ie V660 Flathead)

Current turds include the Gurkha Black Ops, though a month in the humidor has helped.

All of those mentioned were under $5, although a few only when on sale.

1631738417454.jpeg

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
My favorite golf cigar used to be the Quintero Brevas as they were only 55.00 for a bundle of 25.00. Back before I began smoking Cubans, the JR Ultimate from Jr Cigars. I liked their double Maduros. My favorite shape was the Cetro.
Earlier this summer, I bought two boxes of 25 of the Quintero Brevas, shipped from Switzerland for a total of $84. The same 2-box bundle has skyrocketed to $145 since then. Still less than $3 per stick. I've been waiting for a Rafael Gonzalez to be restocked that was in a similar price range.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I'm still sticking with the Oliva G Churchill at $3.75 or so online. Not terribly complex, but still flavorful and fairly refined. Open to suggestions.

Reactions: That Guy

Smoke Queen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I chased this through about a dozen boxes but never brought my quarry to ground. It would take me a few hours to go back in memory to even half way recall what they were, 10 years later, so I won't, but the common characteristic was inferior tobacco. There was always something wrong. But as I loved the concept that smoking 2 cigars a day, if one of them was less expensive, I could smoke the pricy stick with less remorse, I continued the chase.

Oliva came the closest, but if I recall correctly they were $6 or $7. And if you like them, more power to you, but Garcia y Vega and their ilk were dog food.

My grandfather overcame such objections by eating as much as smoking his enduring favorite, Dutch Masters. My grandmother wouldn't let him smoke in the house. No matter. The 5 inches remaining on his cigar would turn into two inches an hour later. He didn't spit so he must have swallowed.

Good taste comes at a price.
In Canada you could never get a cigar for under $10 and if you did, it isn't a very good one... I love to smoke Cuban cigars and those are super expensive in Canada, 1 cohiba can cost you up to $100 each (a box... forget about it ??)... Yep, this is one of the reasons why I balance my tobacco consumption with pipes not just cigars ??

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I order from Atlantic Cigar, under the 10 Pack Steals section. You can get some great stogies for well under 5$ a piece if you don't mind buying a 10 pack. I have a big love for Oliva, never had a bad one.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Can you get a good cheap cigar.

Sure you can. Go to a cigar lounge... Any lounge really. Buy a cheap cigar.

Sit near a group of guys who are both loud and full of themselves as well as shit.

Agree with a few things they vapidly and banally drool out their .... mouths.

Next thing you know, they will be offering you some of their cigars. Good ones... oh' they'll make sure you know that. In the course of an hour or two of listening to them talk about and brag about how much they know, make money, take advantage of others, sell fools insurance they don't need, play pool and yada, yada, yada,

You will get some good cigars on the cheap.

Just be sure to take a hot shower afterwards.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cigars as social props don't always bring out the best in people. Maybe people get into role playing, doing a little gangster, some boss CEO, a Clint Eastwood riff. Nothing like a group of college undergraduates at the horse track all smoking cigars. On my pilgrimage to the now closed Nat Sherman in Manhattan, there seemed to be a bunch of Wall Street young exec types sitting in the rather large conversation area on sofas and chairs. I was comfortably situated on a rocker alone outside the humidor puffing some 536 in my Jerry Perry orange stain bent billiard. Anyway, the conversation area was lively; everyone was getting more wealthy by the minute. It was interesting to watch. A good time was had by all, including me.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
Charter oak series by Foundation and the Quickdraws from Southern Draw are pretty good and will run you less than $6 a stick. I have only just stated getting into cigars, but The Charter Oak with the Connecticut broadleaf wrapper has in my opinion been better than many of the more expensive sticks I have tried.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
A chain store in Metro-Detroit, called Wild Bill's, often has bundles/bricks of "factory reject" cigars for a decent price. They also have their own pipe tobacco (which is not good in my opinion) and 3 types of cigars.

Their own factory reject cigars are 20 for $25. Supposedly, the rejection is based on a few factors, like color, wrapping and draw.

I picked up a bundle just to have cigars on hand that are cheap. With a young child around, I never know when I'll need to leave a gathering and don't are if something happens to the cigar while chasing her around (similar to taking a cob to the beach and not minding if it goes for a swim).

I'm doubtful Wild Bill's brand will be good, buy what is the forum's thoughts on other brands of factory rejected cigars?

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
Padron 3000 (natural or maduro) is an outstanding hand rolled cigar that can be had for about $6 - from the top maker of cigars….

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
There are good cigars to be had at or under $5, especially if you do your shopping online. It's good to learn about which brands are manufactured at specific factories, so you can take advantage of the tobacco and technique employed on higher-end cigars. For example, I believe AVO cigars are made at the Davidoff factory, so you have access to Davidoff-tier quality without paying Davidoff's silly pricing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are only an occasional cigar smoker, cigar samplers are a good way to go, as illustrated in the earlier post. Compared to buying the cigars individually, many come in about half price.