PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingcamnut

Lurker
Aug 11, 2011
HI fellow Pipers.....just what is the collective noun?... I am sure there are mixed opinions? I will start a new Forum topic on this right after I have finished this one. So my question as per my blog ( thanks to Chris G for pointing me in the right direction) Are we a dying breed? I rarely come across any pipe smokers and I always draw attention when I smoke in public.For our cousins over the pond, in the UK smoking has been banned in public buildings so there has been a proliferation of smoking shelters in bars clubs and restaurants, where those who enjoy a smoke gather, and so when I retire for a contemplative pipe I am bombarded with questions, but very rarely do I meet a fellow pipe smoker. So my question is, outside of clubs like this how many pipe smokers do you know?...be gentle with your answers I am new to this :)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I, my brother, my dad and my former lead singer are all pipe smokers, as well as a buddy from the mortuary, so 4, not counting myself.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I met two guys this past Tuesday that were smoking pipes. Other than them I only know two other guys.

smokinjoe

Lurker
Jul 22, 2011
I know myself, and Lordnoble lives close to me.
Other than that I have never seen a pipe smoker around here, NY tends to be very liberal with most things, including bans on smoking.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
about 30, 5 of them my buddy's and most of the guys at the stag pipe club in Colorado springs.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
While there are certainly not as many pipe-smokers today as in times past, and the legislation that has been imposed over recent years has driven many smokers (and not just those who partake in the pipe) into hiding that we are not infact a dying breed - rather, I think that pipe-smoking is undergoing somewhat of a rennisance. One needs to look no further than the popularity of forums and online resources such as this magazine (and, of course, this forum) or the sheer number of blends available to us through the etail tobacconist to find evidence.

smokinjoe

Lurker
Jul 22, 2011
All I know is that I'm going to end up being one of the old guys who has been smoking his pipe for decades some day, and if I meet people who are interested in my (our) hobby along the way, I'll be more than happy to show them what I know.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I saw some guy smoking his pipe as I drove east along stark yesterday. I almost crashed the truck I was so excited. I have now confirmed that there are at least...7 pipe smokers in Portland. However, there is also a club, that I cannot attend, due to an age issue, so i do not know how many number their ranks.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I know of 2, my uncle and a pastor I sip whiskey with.
Online I've noticed a lot of Reformed Christians and old school Baptists smoke pipes. The guy who planted the seed for pipe smoking is a pastor and the fella who got me set up with 3 pipes and tobacco is an Elder in a Baptist church.
A youtuber and blogger by the handle of "Joffre the Giant" also noticed a trend among Christians for pipe smoking.
I posted this on my blog the other day, you might find it interesting...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
We are not a dying breed at all. In fact, I see new, and often younger, men taking up the hobby on a regular basis. Many are former cigarette smokers and cigar guys looking for a change of pace. Hardly a week goes by without a new blend coming onto the market. So from my casual observations I believe that our hobby is till healthy and growing.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I see pipe smokers periodically in the area. I've introduced pipe smoking to my brother, brother-in-law, and my step father. Also, there are some other smokers here on the forums that would be a fairly short drive to meet up.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
i know they are in the area. only because the tobacco at the barbers varies in stock numbers. but i am yet to meet them. a lot of our older gents tend to stay home and smoke becasuse of age, smoking bans etc. would be nice to meet more .

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
just me and my step father that i personly know.Grand paw did. Met a couple of folks at JRs but they are always puffing on cigars and told me they have their pipes at home, go figger mine sticks out my face all day long :puffpipe:

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
In my area I know of seven pipe smokers I have meet out in public and see on a regular basis. I all so have run into several closet pipe smokers who only enjoy thier pipes at home, they always get excited when they see me out in public with my pipe. I believe our pastime is bigger than we think, the local store were I get P.A. moves around 30 pouches per week but I have never seen anyone buying but me.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
My dad used to, but for health reasons (asthma) gave it up. Other than that I don't have any friends or family that does. If my wife had her way (I'll give up many things but not my PAD/TAD or my nightly nip) I'd be a former pipe smoker. Not gonna happen.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
My wife and I are both puffers. I know about 6 locals that smoke a pipe. There's others in hiding, most likely from the prohibitions against something as old as tobacco use. If it wasn't selling it wouldn't be offered in the local drug stores and groceries.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Myself and quite a few blacksmiths of my acquaintance. I ain't Dying I just smell like this cause I haven't had time to shower yet.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Well, most of the corner liquor stores in the SF Bay Area, known for their liberal ideas, except when it comes to smoking...idiots...anyway, where was I?!?! Most of the corner liquor stores in the SF Bay Area still sell the drugstore brands. Somebody must be buying this stuff, but I think they've all gone underground. Fight the POWER!!!!! :D

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Even here in supposedly conservative Texas, smoking bans are gaining ground. I think the fight has gone far beyond Democrat and Republican or Lib and Conservative. I think it's down to who wants to live free with both the rights and consequences of their own decisions versus a vast thrall of sheeple, who are selling us out day by day to politicians who are in it for no reason other than their own personal gain, thinking they can gain a margin of security at the expense of their (and our) individual rights.
Wherever you stand politically, keep THINKING, Keep REASONING and keep acting on your beliefs. I'd rather get into a heated discourse with another person who, though he/she has a difference of opinion, is still my fellow countryman at heart than watch my country fall idly to a mass of zombies programmed for dystopia by foreign interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.