PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I've been super excited to try TCS for a little more than a year now. I recently purchased 10 blends from them, and so far, I've been able to try 3. Old Toby, Bag End, and Black Arrow.

I still have plenty to go, but I gotta say that I didn't find any of these blends to have anywhere near the flavor that I expected. "Mild" doesn't describe it. It's more like a whisper of tobacco. There's no flavor to be found anywhere. I got hot air from Old Toby, I occasionally got a faint hint of English from Bag End, and Black Arrow was absent. At a minimum, I expected it to compete with BCA.

They all burned to the proverbial white ash with the only relight needed at the very end of the bowl, but so far that's all I can say about it.

I want to like these so bad! I want to support independent tobacconists. I've never heard anything but high praise from these blenders, but dammit. I got nothin!

What's your experience? Anyone else get hot air from these blends or is it just me?

Cheers!

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
While I have not smoked these, I have some friends who love Old Toby and Bag End. However, tastebuds are subjective and unique to the individual. It could be that it's not in line with what is palpable to you.

Reactions: anotherbob

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I have Green Dragon in a jar. I'm excited about that.

There's nothing bad about any of the blends that I've tried so far. They're just not there.

@jpberg
Old Toby: Virginia and Burley, a touch of Perique, cased in sugar (IMO, it's molasses)
Black Arrow: Black Cavendish w/ a touch of Vanilla (expecting BCA, Cap'n Dark, PS201 clone)
Bag End: Scottish Blend with flue-cured Virginias, Latakia, Turkish Orientals

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I quite like TCS blends. The aros are right up there with Boswells maybe a tad more complex. And on balance more appealing to me than the few Wilke Aros ive tried that tend to be too sweet for me. I need to try some of their non aros now
I trust your judgment, and I trust a tobacco's need for some time in a jar.

Did you smoke them fresh or with a little bit of age?

I trust your judgment, and I trust a tobacco's need for some time in a jar.

Did you smoke them fresh or with a little bit of age?
You are kind but I wouldn’t trust my judgment! 😂. Seriously. I just had em rather fresh with 6 months in the jar max. Taste is subjective so it’s just me. I really like Boswell’s but there is something similar to all the aro blends I have tried from them and I find that one dimensional. There are a couple that are home runs tho. Boswell’s countryside and northwoods are amazing english. I think TCS aros are all different enough to keep me interested. And again wilke is a tad too sweet for me but their blood reds are amazing. Anyway. I love variety and I bounce around. What I thought was meh a month ago sometime really grabs me when i give it another go. It’s such a great pastime!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I've been super excited to try TCS for a little more than a year now. I recently purchased 10 blends from them, and so far, I've been able to try 3. Old Toby, Bag End, and Black Arrow.

I still have plenty to go, but I gotta say that I didn't find any of these blends to have anywhere near the flavor that I expected. "Mild" doesn't describe it. It's more like a whisper of tobacco. There's no flavor to be found anywhere. I got hot air from Old Toby, I occasionally got a faint hint of English from Bag End, and Black Arrow was absent. At a minimum, I expected it to compete with BCA.

They all burned to the proverbial white ash with the only relight needed at the very end of the bowl, but so far that's all I can say about it.

I want to like these so bad! I want to support independent tobacconists. I've never heard anything but high praise from these blenders, but dammit. I got nothin!

What's your experience? Anyone else get hot air from these blends or is it just me?

Cheers!
I'm somewhat shocked you can't taste the flavors. I regularly smoke Old Toby and it is almost sickly sweet with vanilla and molasses; the Cherokee I just got is a bit strong for me and similar to an english blend. PS Blend is Latakia forward but very mild with no bite; Green Dragon and Second Breakfast are very strongly flavored Virginia blends. Green Dragon being similar to Capstan Blue; Rivendell is a strong chocolaty blend with a bit too much burley for me. Hunting Creek is the stronger of the english blends with a bit more perique. I find their blends much stronger and more flavorful than brand tobaccos I have smoked.
Maybe you should slow down and sip the tobacco ??? If you smoke too fast they are all just hot ash.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
MI
I spent time with Old Toby and Rivendell, but Old Toby is damn sweet, and the perique is just a little too noticeable for me. Still smokable, and I will smoke what I have left, past then, who knows. Can color up a meer like crazy.
I wanted to love Rivendell too, and it’s not bad, it’s just not something I reach for. I’ll tell you what though, their Figgy Pudding, Cordial Friends, and Shepard’s Pie, those have really struck a cord with me. The first two not being too sweet, and none are sticky.
Hell, Shepard’s Pie is one of my favorite blends with Latakia in it. Tastes not only similar, but actually, truly better than any popular Latakia unicorn blend I’ve ever smoked. Damn, damn, damn good stuff, and I’m not even a heavy Latakia smoker.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
You are kind but I wouldn’t trust my judgment! 😂. Seriously. I just had em rather fresh with 6 months in the jar max. Taste is subjective so it’s just me. I really like Boswell’s but there is something similar to all the aro blends I have tried from them and I find that one dimensional. There are a couple that are home runs tho. Boswell’s countryside and northwoods are amazing english. I think TCS aros are all different enough to keep me interested. And again wilke is a tad too sweet for me but their blood reds are amazing. Anyway. I love variety and I bounce around. What I thought was meh a month ago sometime really grabs me when i give it another go. It’s such a great pastime!
Fine then! Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad! ;)

I've never had Boswell's, but I've had plenty of aros to know that I generally dislike the monotone candy-coated blends and I can often find love in a blender that creates some complexity.