PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Nothing that some Bondo, fiberglass cloth and a pneumatic disk sander with 40 grit can't fix.
Think positive... :wink:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
ivapipewithfire:
If you have not already done so, please take a look at the threads titled "Sandblast Question - Is This a Huge Flaw in the Briar?" and "A Little Too Weird for Me," as both show images of pipes with problems akin to yours. My guess is that the pipes shown in both of these threads were promoted as "art" pieces, or at least commanded "arty" prices.
The lesson here is don't bemoan your bug-bitten briar - celebrate it as those pipe-makers did! :)

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Yea I've seen those threads.
The "little too weird for me" one is something else. Not my taste, but I could see how it would appeal to some.
The other one is just plain old crazy. I saw that one about the same time I was hitting the really bad spots on mine (I was doing searches to see what others had done in the same situation). That one I just can't find anything I like about it.
I spent a total of $30 dollars. That's about what I would drop on a dinner out for myself, or going to the movies with my wife. For either one, it's just a couple of hours and a memory the next day.
In this case I've already gotten some knowledge and a good 10-15 hours of entertainment (and still hours to go...).
Hell, I might even end up with a good smoking pipe. I won't really know until I send a couple of bowls through it. I'm not going to even bother trying to fill them. I want it to look just like I found it when it's done. I don't mind at all.
Either way it's some of the highest value/per dollar I've gotten in a while.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You have done a great job, not ONLY on the shaping of what on its surface appears to be some fault riddled briar, but on sharing YOUR initial experience with a kit pipe and what can happen.

You also have exhibited the can do attitude that inspires the rest of us to overcome obstacles and make them opportunities.

Thanks!

mike

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That gnarly looking piece of briar was more likely than not caused by some type of beetle larvae. Supposedly it’s not all that of an uncommon problem when purchasing briar blocks from an unrepeatable dealer, albeit some can slip through with more reputable dealers which is unfortunate. Here is a picture of a briar ebauchon being sanded on a sanding wheel when suddenly a pink fluid dripped out and then the larvae poked its ugly little head out!
Hey, who knows and maybe leave it in as it might possibly improve the taste of Mixture No.79.
OBCerGU.jpg

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
If Michael Keaton pops out of my pipe wearing make-up and a bad suit, I'll strip the current stain I'm working on and start over and work on a purple and green contrast stain.

65chevy

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013

I Got a nice block from my wife this Xmas, she gets into me buying the old estate pipe and clean them up like new. she said I should try my hand at making one of my own. it helped that I'm a carpenter by trade. It was fun and I'll will make more as time goes on. a few more shape I want to do, be fan of Poker.

I would recommend every one to try their hand at this.

lots of fun.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I'm Glad that one bad block hasn't tain the entire project for you. For what you had, I think you did s very nice job! And it was a great analogy of the investment/return, by the way. :puffy:

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I think you should do the purple and green stained pipe, that would be awesome

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I guess that is why they charge so much for the perfect grades. I have never carved any brier, but when I have read about it and the problems that pop out, I would never have imagined this much trauma in a block. My understanding was that the problem came from sand and debris blown into the brier as it grew. Never thought about insects. Duh :roll:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Got on this late, but I agree with woodsroad, I like it, the shape and the flaws. It would be better without the flaws, but it is my style/shape. It is a nice pipe with character. You have some talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.